Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Foggy headlights

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am

Is there anything that can be done about foggy/murky/opaque headlight glass, both inside and outside other than replacing ?

I have no tools or skill to remove or go in and clean them myself, but would any garage do this work for me do you think ?

z4pilot

Foggy headlights

Post by z4pilot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 am

If I were you, I'd get the outside of the lenses polished and then see what the interior fogging looks like? Are you sure it's permanent interior fogging rather than condensation? If the outside surface is bad, it may be difficult to judge how bad the interiors are.

Plenty on here have restored the outer surface of the headlight using the kits available from 3M, Triplex or Meguairs - have a search and you'll see how easy it is to do.

Unlikely that any garage will be able to resolve interior fogging though - the headlight lenses cannot be heat separated and the usual route is to split the headlight by cutting and then re-glueing. Not for the faint hearted!

Others on here have done it, particularly to add angel eyes etc - again, have a search, CJ10Jeeper has done a How To on the process.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

Deddi

Foggy headlights

Post by Deddi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Yep, 3M kit off e-bay is very easy and works a treat on the outside. Comes with clear instructions. Only need a drill and an hour or so.
Mineral grey E89 2.0M sport 2015

ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm

There's defo fog on the inside.

So...are you saying that the headlamp is a sealed unit that would need to be broken apart to clean inside then glued back together ?

If so should I not believe/trust my local non BMW garage if they say they can do it ?

ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Can anybody tell me ball park what a replacement headlight unit would cost....there's nothing wrong with the bulbs, just the foggy glass.

bluespit

Foggy headlights

Post by bluespit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Pm sent, read my post lower down
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

z4pilot

Foggy headlights

Post by z4pilot » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

ferrelscent wrote:There's defo fog on the inside.

So...are you saying that the headlamp is a sealed unit that would need to be broken apart to clean inside then glued back together ?

If so should I not believe/trust my local non BMW garage if they say they can do it ?
In theory, you could disassemble some of the internals of the light to try to get to the inside of the glass, but they are sealed units and the glue they use to join the backs and the lenses does not soften with heat to allow you to pull them apart. Costs for new units from BMW varies depending on whether your lights are Halogen or Xenon. For Halogen you're probably looking at around £400 for Xenon £750 - per light. Second hand units may be a solution - Halogen can be got, but Xenon are pretty rare.
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:42 pm

bluespit wrote:Pm sent, read my post lower down
PM sent ?...I have no PM in inbox

bluespit

Foggy headlights

Post by bluespit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:53 pm

That's very odd, defo sent one...hang on....
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Got the PM now, but still can't see 'the post below'

ferrelscent

Foggy headlights

Post by ferrelscent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Oh, OK you mean in a different thread

(it's hard work this...)