Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nice coupe ICE install for not too much ££££!

outrun

Nice coupe ICE install for not too much ££££!

Post by outrun » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 pm

I've been busy getting a reasonable ICE set-up to improve upon the fairly poor standard set-up in my car. I listended to the Hi Fi Pro (now Logic7) and felt it wasn't worth the extra cash. Might have been easier if i'd just specced it but never mind, i didn't so i've has a go at a set-up that's cost about £650 fitted.

Firstly we took out the useless cubby holes things behind the seats (shame the seats don't tilt as this would have been easier)

Next we installed an Alpine f300 power amp. Not too pricy at about £150. I was going to go for the £350, much smaller version but didn't feel that it merited the extra. The cabin is so small that you don't need mega power to push serious bass through.

Now we fabricated some surrounds for a set of Genesis speakers to be installed in the cubby hole area. Nice and tidy and the seat position (especially when you're 6ft 1" like me) adds too the bass.

I took a cover off here so that you can see the speaker better

To finish we replace the factory speaker in the doors etc with same size Genesis units so that it looks stock.

Next up is the Ipod controller that displays the Ipod screen on the nav display. Didn't arrive in on time (been waiting 3 weeks so far) and i'm off to London tomorrow so i'll update the post with details on that in the next week or two.

For me this system is much better than anything BMW offers as long as you can live with the "Barryness" of having an amp on display when you open the boot! You can spend an awful lot more but i reckon this is good enough for most.
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.
Now - Maserati Gransport with many mods. Sounds incredible.

torino

Re: Nice coupe ICE install for not too much ££££!

Post by torino » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Can you run an amp and sub from a factory head unit?

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I know it's easy to rubbish other peoples work, but did you consider sinking the speakers further into the holes Imageand covering them with the OEM grills they are about £30 a side, IMO it would look a lot neater and professional. Havn't got a picture of the grills but they are on htis forum somewhere.

They do fit with a bit of fettling over 6X9's you just to cut the shroud off that mates with the OEM woofers.
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

outrun

Post by outrun » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am

Advice taken Richard, i've ordered the grills that i didn't know existed. It's a better solutio as i'm tall and i'd like not to squash the speakers with the seat back.

They're going to take 10 days to arrive from Germany so i'll post some updated pics when i have made progress. Cheers, it's a better answer all round.

Torino - yes you can.
2007 z4mc carbon black - gone but not forgotten. The guy I sold to still has it, maybe one day I will buy it back.

RichardG

Post by RichardG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Glad to help, mine arrived in from Germany in about 5 days, did you manage to see a picture of the grills or are you just taking me at my word. :)
04 2.5 SE, Alpine iDA X-305, Eibach's, M Tri-Colour MFSW, CF Roundells, LeatherZ Armrest, De-Gingered, 19" VMR V710's, Aero Skirts, Fr & R M Bumpers, Quad Exhaust and NO Stubby

outrun

Post by outrun » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am

Naw,found some pics of a car with HiFi Pro Logic 7 whatever they call it this week at BMW. Looks nice and stock.

Robb

Post by Robb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:07 am

where did you get pick up the signal from for the amp, did you tap into the rear speakers?

Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Evening Outrun,

Any chance you can give few more details on where the signal from the amp is derived from, does your head unit have factory pre-outs? Cheers
Mods so far : 3" stubby ariel, chrome exhaust tips, de-badging, clear side indicators, CDV delete, cruise, clear 3rd brake light, cup-holders, Z4M alloys. Sadly now gone!