Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washers not working on 30i

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm

I discovered yesterday that my windscreen washers weren’t working, probably first time I’ve needed them since acquiring the car a couple of weeks ago. A little searching led me to a couple of historic posts which told me all I should know to fix the problem. Hence I’ve just finished removing, cleaning and replacing the washer reservoir, it was full of the predicted slimy residue with a delicious sprinkling of black mouldiness. I cleaned the heavily clogged filters and nicely cleaned out the reservoir.

Clearly this appeared to be the problem, the little filters couldn’t have been more blocked. I have just put it all back together in the car.....and it still doesn’t work :headbang:

I can hear a pump doing it’s thing, but neither the headlamp washers or windscreen washers are producing any fluid ( I did put the lights on). Just to confirm, the pumps appear to be just a push fit into the rubber washers, there are no clips or anything to hold them firmly in place?

Any suggestions for what to try next? Seems odd that neither system is working?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:20 pm

What about the pumps?
Just a guess, but could they be full of crud too?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:04 pm

They should be protected by the filters in theory. But I suppose It’s possible some crud could have got in, can they be taken apart and cleaned out somehow?

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:42 pm

This might sound weird but I had something similar on my old MGZT - emptied washer bottle and put in sparkling water and lemon juice, the lemon juice softened off the limescale crud (London water) and the sparkling water.. Just because its seemed like a good idea at the time (I was in sainsburys and their cheap bottled water was dirt cheap)

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm

I did this not too long ago, the actual lines themselves might be blocked with crud too, mine was fixed purely by cleaning out the tank, but maybe put something strong in there to break down the crud in the tubes.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:03 pm

Beeacon wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm I did this not too long ago, the actual lines themselves might be blocked with crud too, mine was fixed purely by cleaning out the tank, but maybe put something strong in there to break down the crud in the tubes.
My old man was told to put Viakal in the washer bottle to clear out the tubes.
He left it in about 15 minutes, with not too much water, then operated the washers a few times, with a couple of minutes between each squirt to allow it to soak in more.
He did put poly bags over the jets though, to save potential paintwork damage.
The trick worked though. Cleared them a a treat.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Get an old toothbrush and gently scrub the nozzles on the bonnet, you can also strip a small piece of copper wire, twist the strands and poke the holes out.
Placing your mouth over the nozzle and blowing can also help (an excuse to kiss your car!!!!!).
Also worth parking on a piece of dry ground, just pull the wash lever and let it run for a few minutes, if you have any leaks you will see it on the floor, the level in the tank should also drop, if it does not then the pump is going round but not pumping....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks chaps, I think I have some “Cillit Bang” bathroom black mould remover under the sink somewhere, that’s probably going to work better than Vikal, assuming it is gunged up with the same black bits and slime I removed from the tank and filter yesterday.....rather than limescale.

I will try the toothbrush and french kissing technique first, sounds a lot more fun :wink:

One more question, I assume the headlamp washers “pop out” to do their thing? I haven’t seen them do that as yet, should they still pop out even if there as no water getting through?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm Thanks chaps, I think I have some “Cillit Bang” bathroom black mould remover under the sink somewhere, that’s probably going to work better than Vikal, assuming it is gunged up with the same black bits and slime I removed from the tank and filter yesterday.....rather than limescale.

I will try the toothbrush and french kissing technique first, sounds a lot more fun :wink:

One more question, I assume the headlamp washers “pop out” to do their thing? I haven’t seen them do that as yet, should they still pop out even if there as no water getting through?
It is possible to code the headlight washers to not pop out out & spray screenwash over your highly polished bonnet :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 pm

Quick update.....
So I used the toothbrush. Then decided to top up the reservoir for a test, which promptly left me with wet feet, looks like I didn’t quite seat the rear pump properly so fiddled with that to make sure it was fully engaged and hey presto water spraying all over the windscreen ..a beautiful sight.

Still not a peep from the headlamp washers. Rob - How can I tell if they’ve been “coded out” ?

I have read some people pull the fuse for the same reason, I will check that tomorrow.

ric19

Post by ric19 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:37 pm

Just be aware that it's an MOT fail if the headlight washers don't function

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:28 pm Quick update.....
So I used the toothbrush. Then decided to top up the reservoir for a test, which promptly left me with wet feet, looks like I didn’t quite seat the rear pump properly so fiddled with that to make sure it was fully engaged and hey presto water spraying all over the windscreen ..a beautiful sight.

Still not a peep from the headlamp washers. Rob - How can I tell if they’ve been “coded out” ?

I have read some people pull the fuse for the same reason, I will check that tomorrow.
You’d have to connect to Carly or similar to see if it can be coded back into normal operation, it’s possible to reduce the frequency of headlight washes per windscreen wash as well.
Some mot testers will overlook something like this as it’s hardly compromising safety :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold