Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash making crunching noise [solved]

Skella

Dash making crunching noise [solved]

Post by Skella » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Seems to be at low speeds. Doesn't make a noise, at least that I can hear, at motorway speeds and going in a straight line.

It sounds like crunching plastic inside the dash. (Possibly the centre top part). I've tried moving the steering wheel to see if that affects it and I don't think it is linked as there is no consistency with the noise it makes.

I've heard it do they odd pop/crunch when I'm sat idle. This was when it was a hot day and I'd been out in the car for a bit.

Any ideas what it could be as I'm dreading taking it to a garage as I'm guessing it will cost a lot to investigate.

Noise has never been about until about a month ago. Now it is making it all the time. :cry:
Last edited by Skella on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z4C_er

Dash making crunching noise

Post by Z4C_er » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Skella wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm Seems to be at low speeds. Doesn't make a noise, at least that I can hear, at motorway speeds and going in a straight line.

It sounds like crunching plastic inside the dash. (Possibly the centre top part). I've tried moving the steering wheel to see if that affects it and I don't think it is linked as there is no consistency with the noise it makes.

I've heard it do they odd pop/crunch when I'm sat idle. This was when it was a hot day and I'd been out in the car for a bit.

Any ideas what it could be as I'm dreading taking it to a garage as I'm guessing it will cost a lot to investigate.

Noise has never been about until about a month ago. Now it is making it all the time. :cry:
The 'noise in the dash' problem often gets raised here and it seems that looking under the bonnet may be a possible first step. Check and tighten the brace mounts to the firewall.
See how that goes.
brace.JPG
brace.JPG (99.5 KiB) Viewed 656 times
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 am

Get some silicone bumper spray and apply to all joints. When i first had my car i would get a noise like stones hitting windshield. It was the plastic creaking. Also stick some rubber pads between visors and the plastic they sit against, they creek.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 am Get some silicone bumper spray and apply to all joints. When i first had my car i would get a noise like stones hitting windshield. It was the plastic creaking. Also stick some rubber pads between visors and the plastic they sit against, they creek.
Is there a solution to the creaking armrest on the door panel, pretty much the only one on my car but can't really see a solution, there is leather and alcantara on the door so spraying silicone there is not really viable
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Skella

Post by Skella » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:15 pm
Skella wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 pm Seems to be at low speeds. Doesn't make a noise, at least that I can hear, at motorway speeds and going in a straight line.

The 'noise in the dash' problem often gets raised here and it seems that looking under the bonnet may be a possible first step. Check and tighten the brace mounts to the firewall.
See how that goes.
brace.JPG
Thanks for the advice. They were super tight. Loosening them up has now stopped the noise. I'm over the moon as I've not had to take it the dealer 😁