Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent windshield washer

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Anyone have experience replacing the fuse box? Seems like it is also referred to as the junction box.

Problem I'm having is intermittent windshield washer on my 2012 Z4 (65K miles). Most of the time it does not work at all. Observations:
- Washer pump is new.
- Wipers come on but there is no sound at all from the pump.
- If I pull the 48 fuse and reinstall it, the washer will work 3 or 4 times but then stops working.
- Tried replacing the 48 fuse and that did not matter.
- It is throwing a code. Junction box fault code:
A6D3
Wash front
Signal or value below threshold

Thanks!

JoeZed

Post by JoeZed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:14 pm

Had the exact same issue a couple of months ago. Drive off... try to wash windscreens... no water getting pumped.
Pulled the cable connector located on the side of the washer tank... reconnected... worked for a day. Disconnect/reconnect again...same.
Third time, i squeezed the metal connectors inside the plug . Same... intermittent . After about 2 week, the problem just disappeared .
So you were disconnecting / reconnecting at the fuse, and I was doing it at the plug on the washer tank.
I decided it was something to do with electronics/logic rather than power to pump. I didn't go as far as looking for an error code.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Previous
Mk1 Golf GTI 1.8 : 190E : 2 x Xj6 Sport :323i : Cooper S : 123d
And now : E89 28i

BadgerDog

Post by BadgerDog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:41 am

Irishman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 pm If I pull the 48 fuse and reinstall it, the washer will work 3 or 4 times but then stops working.
That makes me worry you have a legitimate electrical fault in the car. Sounds like maybe the fuse is doing its job.

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am

BadgerDog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:41 am
Irishman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 pm If I pull the 48 fuse and reinstall it, the washer will work 3 or 4 times but then stops working.
That makes me worry you have a legitimate electrical fault in the car. Sounds like maybe the fuse is doing its job.
Just to be clear, it is not blowing fuses. Somehow the act of re-seating the fuse causes the washer pump to work again for a brief period of time.

philiph

Post by philiph » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Sometimes they seem to stop working when it is hot (ambient temperature and / or engine creating heat).

No idea why.
2017 Estoril Blue 2.0 Z4
Good spec, Only 2 pedals but other bits added to make up for that omission

CFSD

Post by CFSD » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:56 am

In another thread on a similar issue there is talk of checking for gunked up (clogged) filters. That was the problem on mine.

Irishman

Post by Irishman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:16 pm

I can confirm the problem was fixed with a new Junction Box. For anyone who searches and finds this post, note that the new Junction Box must be programmed / paired to the vehicle.

Amazingly, having the original Junction Box repaired was an option for $225. A new Junction Box was $400. I decided to go with a new unit as there are worse situations than a failed wiper washer and mine was eight years old.