Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace headset with bluetooth

rockgoddessis

Replace headset with bluetooth

Post by rockgoddessis » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi,

I own a 2004 Z4 2.5 and it does not have bluetooth capability but instead it offers a headset option. Is there anyway I can install the bluetooth system in my car instead of the headset? I currently have an iPhone and would like to have it somehow connected to my car. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

epbrown

Re: Replace headset with bluetooth

Post by epbrown » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 pm

I've never heard of the headset option, but a few people have retrofit bluetooth into their cars. Here's a place selling the kit: http://www.bimmernav.com/bmw_Z_series_b ... rofit.html
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 pm

I did this retrofit using the bimmernav kit that epbrown refers to.

Not difficult but a lot of dismantling from trunk to steering column to build it all in. It's expensive too by the time you're sourced al the bits (ULF is cheaper off Ebay)

Frankly unless your competent at such projects I'd skip it. Upside is it's a fully integrated solution from speakers, to screen display, steering wheel, etc. For that I love it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:47 pm

It would say that the OEM blueooth is pretty drap if you havent got SatNav as you cannot navigate through the adress book other from A-Z or Z-A.

Cheaper option would be Parrot CK3100 or CK3000 with Multican interface to use MFSW buttons.

In saying that one day I will get round to retrofitting the OEM BT kit in mine, have all the parts just not the time :x

epbrown

Post by epbrown » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:42 am

srhutch wrote:It would say that the OEM blueooth is pretty drap if you havent got SatNav as you cannot navigate through the adress book other from A-Z or Z-A.
My car has factory bluetooth without navigation and it does that - the names show in the stereo display as you scroll through them.
Z4 M Coupe Production, 2006-2008
Coupes, Worldwide: 4,275, North America: 1,815.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 am

epbrown wrote:
srhutch wrote:It would say that the OEM blueooth is pretty drap if you havent got SatNav as you cannot navigate through the adress book other from A-Z or Z-A.
My car has factory bluetooth without navigation and it does that - the names show in the stereo display as you scroll through them.
yes and it's a PITA when you want a name begining with J, K or L for example. Had it on my 3 series and it's why I didnt bothyer on the Z4, but now I have nav the option is more appealing which is why I secured all the parts.