Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Questions for newbie

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
tdz840

Questions for newbie

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi Guys
Just bought a Z4 2004 54 plate 3.0, silver with black leather. Options are M sport heated seats, folding mirrors, zenons, cupholders(!), 108s, MFSW and IPOd conn.
I dont like the brushed alloy dash and I reckon i has a crease in it anyway.
How difficult is it to change to piano black, whats involved; any advice. A how to would be great?
I like the carbon leather but can find no mention of it. Can you buy just the leather and if so where.
How difficult is it to fit a Alpina front lower spoiler, do you need to remove the existing lower spoiler and does the alpina come with a mesh insert?
If I ditch the RFT how does this affect the tyre pressure monitor?
Cheers in advance
Russ

Ian_Mac

Re: Questions for newbie

Post by Ian_Mac » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi Russ and welcome

Ditching the run flats doesn't affect the tyre pressure monitor, I've done this with no problems at all. As for the ally dash mod you mention, I don't think the dash part is too bad it's changing the gear tunnel section that is a complete bugger, something like 30 screws to remove. Also, I think when you look into pricing you find it's silly money from a dealer and 2nd hand parts are like hens teeth. Don't get me wrong it is possible but timely and costly!

As for the Aplina spolier can't help there I'm afraid, sure someone will be along soon who can though.

Sounds like a nice car you have there, don't forget to post some pics in the gallery section! Where in the UK are you based?

:thumbsup:
Mods so far : 3" stubby ariel, chrome exhaust tips, de-badging, clear side indicators, CDV delete, cruise, clear 3rd brake light, cup-holders, Z4M alloys. Sadly now gone!

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Ian
Thanks for the info, I may be along later with some more specific questions.
Car looks pretty similar to yours apart from the alloys and the clear lights. They sound a nice Mod as the orange indicators seem at odds somehow. Where did you get them?
What is the silver on our cars named as; the local Halfords paint leaflets are missing (some scrot half inched them :headbang: )?
Im based in Fareham next to Pompey on the South coast
Cheers
Russ

gers

Post by gers » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 pm

welcome russ :) :thumbsup:

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm

gers wrote:welcome russ :) :thumbsup:
Cheers!

Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:20 pm

The colour is Titanium Silver, I got a touch up brush from Halfords the other week, pretty good match.

I got my clear front wing indicators off Ebay and the 3rd brake light in the boot lid from the dealers. To be honest the dealers price wasn't bad for that. I've bought a few things from the dealer ie the cup holders, cruise stalk and the brake light and the prices aren't too silly. I did enquire about an iPod lead and that was crazy money! Doesn't hurt to ask I guess!

Ian
Mods so far : 3" stubby ariel, chrome exhaust tips, de-badging, clear side indicators, CDV delete, cruise, clear 3rd brake light, cup-holders, Z4M alloys. Sadly now gone!

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Russ and welcome, i'm just up the road from you, in Parkgate , need to see some pics of your Zed, where did you buy it from? david. :driving:

Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Russ I see you mention the sound generator in another thread, have a look here

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10398

It basically enhances the sound into the cabin at certain frequencies, there's quite a few threads on the topic but it is an easy mod to do.

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:34 pm

[quote="Ian_Mac"]Hi Russ and welcome

As for the ally dash mod you mention, I don't think the dash part is too bad it's changing the gear tunnel section that is a complete bugger, something like 30 screws to remove. Also, I think when you look into pricing you find it's silly money from a dealer and 2nd hand parts are like hens teeth. Don't get me wrong it is possible but timely and costly!

Just bought this piano black dash which I like the look of(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0313136084). Small scratch but I was trained in french polishing (wood type!) so reckon I can sort it.
Its just the dash section so need the console part; part numbers prices would be useful anyone :D
More of a reason to have a 'How to' on changing out the dash; would be very appreacitive!!
Russ

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Ian_Mac wrote:Russ I see you mention the sound generator in another thread, have a look here

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10398

It basically enhances the sound into the cabin at certain frequencies, there's quite a few threads on the topic but it is an easy mod to do.

Cheers Ian
Whats CDV delete?

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:44 pm

daviddi wrote:Hi Russ and welcome, i'm just up the road from you, in Parkgate , need to see some pics of your Zed, where did you buy it from? david. :driving:
Hi David
Bought it from a dealer in Totnes so had to travel. Swapped it for the wifes 03 plate 1.6 206CC which I had to drive all those miles from Fareham :cry: The embarrasment was immense!
All in I had to give him £5K which I considered a good deal. By all accounts he prices his cars to sell as no-one wants to go to Totnes! It was on Autotrader for an hour before I bought it. I did however view several and was only interested in a 3.0. I wanted the coupe but was too rich!
The miles are high (80K) but the guy was on the motorway and it has all the BMW stamps and just been serviced with a new set of RFTs. Miles on these cars are nothing; the engine is understressed.
I will look at getting the pics on; do you use photobucket??
Russ

Ian_Mac

Post by Ian_Mac » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Have a look here Russ

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

basically it reduces the kangaroo change between 1st and 2nd, you can either remove the valve altogether (I did) or fit a modified one. I think the modified one helps with warranty issues as it looks standard.

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:11 pm

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... =Z41.jpgic
Attached is one pic I took when I picked the car up, too busy to take more at the mo but will try in the next couple of days
Russ
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... nt=Z41.jpg

tdz840

Post by tdz840 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Guys
Few pics as requested of the new addition. First Z4 and so far very happy. Last car was a R26, bit fernetic compared to this and I am enjoying the Z4.
Car is a 2004 3.0 and I was keen to find as many options as possible. I dont have SAT NAV but to be honest the TomTom 930 I have is probably better.
I dont like the brushed alloy trim so I sourced a piano black dash of fleabay (both pieces) but havent found the console piece yet. I contacted BMW and they said £115. How difficult is it to replace the dash pieces, has anyone a step by step guide they could let me have? Also a guidee for the console trim when I get that; do you know where I can get the console - cheap!
I need to replace both axles discs and pads but again fleabay show a complete set for just under £200 incl pads.
There has been a degree of scraping to the bottom of the front bumper. However I have sourced an Alpina lower shroud (guess where!) and plan to fit that. Any advice; does it get bonded directly over the existing one or do you remove the bottom shroud of the original? Do the Alpina one have a mesh grill behind?
What other MoDs should I consider?
Cheers
Russ
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... nt=Z46.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... ent=Z4.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... t=Z4_4.jpg
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/ ... nt=Z45.jpg

daviddi

Post by daviddi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Thats a very nice looking Volvo you have there Russ , and the ZED looks tops as well. :driving: