Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Maybe too basic? Pads & disc change.

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
Tommo

Maybe too basic? Pads & disc change.

Post by Tommo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Most of you will probably laugh but a well documented guide to changing the pads and discs would be a massive help to people like me who are wanting to learn to do mechanical things to their Z4 but have zero confidence in their ability to get it right. I know its a pretty basic thing to do to somebody who has even the slightest idea, but I genuinely wouldnt know where to start.

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Maybe too basic? Pads & disc change.

Post by flimper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 pm

You and me both!
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

micdundee

Post by micdundee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:07 pm

x3

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Tommo wrote:Most of you will probably laugh but a well documented guide to changing the pads and discs would be a massive help to people like me who are wanting to learn to do mechanical things to their Z4 but have zero confidence in their ability to get it right. I know its a pretty basic thing to do to somebody who has even the slightest idea, but I genuinely wouldnt know where to start.
Tommo you surprise me, as you car I believe is in the grarage without a roof, if you can do that changing pads is easy.

This should help though http://m3.madrussian.net/diy.shtml :D

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:03 am

Haha Im just good at following instructions like I said :D Wouldn't have even attempted it without that guide.

Thanks for that link its very useful.

Before this car I'd never even checked oil levels. Ive always wanted to mess with cars but never had the chance, and I don't think a Z4 is the kind of car I should mess around without without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am

Tommo wrote: and I don't think a Z4 is the kind of car I should mess around without without knowing exactly what I'm doing.
Why not. It is just a car. The same as any other. It just has special value to you....
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

klarky

Post by klarky » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:49 am

as much as id like to do this kind of work on my car i dont own most of the tools required, maybe once i have my own garage it might be do able, instead ill just let the local mechanic do it, going to have brake pads/discs changed all round, and might ask them to take the cdv out too

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Shipkiller wrote:
Tommo wrote: and I don't think a Z4 is the kind of car I should mess around without without knowing exactly what I'm doing.
Why not. It is just a car. The same as any other. It just has special value to you....

You know.. Im starting to realise that its just one big jigsaw puzzle. Im actually enjoying learning new things over this last week.

First the roof and then now the MFSW. I guess I just thought this would be too complicated to start learning about cars on compared to say my first car which was a 1995 VW Polo :?

Got to admit though, I do seem to need a guide before I even attempt to start messing!

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:07 am

Shipkiller seems to have a guide for any task. :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:48 am

Not this time.

Next time I do this kind of maintenance, I will make one..
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

ay8306

Post by ay8306 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:44 am

Tommo wrote:Got to admit though, I do seem to need a guide before I even attempt to start messing!
Nothing wrong with that. I've done everything from complete engine rebuilds to to suspension replacements to paint and body work ... but I never start a new project without a good set of instructions and a knowing that I have all the right tools.
2006 Z4 3.0si Sapphire Black/Dream Red