Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

swirls.

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
etedlm

swirls.

Post by etedlm » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:48 am

they seems to the baine of paintwork on black cars :(.whats the best way of getting rid of them by hand?iv'e orderd some maguires swirl remover to see if that will do the trick.

Rudd

Re: swirls.

Post by Rudd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 am

Hi, I have a black car and it was doing my head in!

I used some tcut once (not the best I know) and that got rid of some. I then used the Maguire’s 3 step, paint cleaner with swirl and scratch remover, polish and wax.

I used an electric buffer to apply and take off, using 100% cotton polishing cloth wrapped over the bonnets for better quality. Cutting 6 pieces was the best way, 2 for each stage (one on one off). work on one panel at a time, I find it better because if you want to stop for the day all you have to finish is one panel instead of having to go at the whole car.

It has removed about 60-70% of visible swirls and gives a great finish, unfortunately I have no before and after pics. An electric buffer works the liquid into the paint better, takes it off much better and speeds things up just be careful you don’t burn the paint.

It took one full day, started at 8 with a thorough wash and then started on the 3 step. I finished at about 6.

Good luck!

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:33 am

I use to use the Maguire's 3-step but moved on to something that works much better.

Clay bar, swirl & scratch remover, sealer and then a wax. These are much easier to apply than than the Meg 3-step....better results.

The sealer does an absolutely fantastic job of hiding any scratches/swirl marks that you can't get out. Then a least one coat of your preferred wax...
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

duckson

Post by duckson » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:46 pm

You want something like this:-
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... olish.html

I've bought one the other week, just need to find time to get the car done now! :lol:
(maybe try the boot lid tonight, we'll see, i'll post before and after pics if i do).
Cheers, Stu

Herminator

Post by Herminator » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

duckson wrote:You want something like this:-
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... olish.html

I've bought one the other week, just need to find time to get the car done now! :lol:
(maybe try the boot lid tonight, we'll see, i'll post before and after pics if i do).

I was planning on buying that lot next month, seems a good bundle for what I need. My paint would really benifit from a proper polish but I'm not paying someone £400-500 to do the job :poke:
I'm eager to see how you do. What polish/pads you find work best and how long it takes.
BMW M4CS, San Marino Blue, CCBs

Gone but not forgotten- Z4M Roadster, E31 840 Ci Sport, E85 Z4 3.0 Sport.

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 am

Just bought something similar with light medium pads and polishes/glazes. I thought I'd keep away from the heavy stuff as the car has only light scratches and swirls and I'll get used to using the machine/pad/polish combos before trying anything too heavy. I'll start with the beater, thats covred in swirls and scratches so it will be a good learning tool.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 am

Hi,

The Z4 styling means its a really hard car to correct. Theres so many sharp edges that unless your very carful theres a chance you could burn through the clear coat or paint.

Ive posted up a few paint corrections here before:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 58#p118258

And

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 60#p155760

Ive just about finished our third car this weekend which is truly stunning now. My wifes comment "i cant describe it but it feels kind of like glass" was the icing on the cake after alot of hard work.

Ive been seriously into detailing for about 18 plus months and like stated above wanted to do the work myself and £300 each car meant i had £1000 for kit and still be quids in....... Ive spent alot more! And the Time needed to do it right is mind blowing.

My advice is if its one car that needs de-swirling then really consider a pro, their attention to detail is crazy and you can just in enjoy the car after. If your still keen to DIY, do PLENTY of research, i made a things you need list for a mate a while ago and will thry to find it and post it up.

Mean while heres a couple of pics i really like.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black

duckson

Post by duckson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Well i had a crack last night at the horizontal part of the boot lid, took quite a few pics but they didnt really turn out great....swirls were there but not very apparent or at least to capture with the camera (even with a hand held 500W Halgoen and an LED torch....i was outside mind not in a dark garage).

Swirls seemed to be removed though after one decent hit on a 12"x12" area, i used Menzerna IP RD3.02 on a 135mm Menzerna polishing pad with my Kestrel DA polisher. Took me about 2 hours to get it done and i didnt even go over it with some finsh polish (Menzerna PO85RE on a Menz finishing pad), looks fine as it is but i think i'll see if it gives it anything extra.
The vertical panels might be easier to photograph so i'll keep trying on that front! Probably going to be a case of a panel at a time in the evenings, with wash-clay-wash-dry on each prior to polishing.
Cheers, Stu

PaulN

Post by PaulN » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:52 pm

duckson wrote:Well i had a crack last night at the horizontal part of the boot lid, took quite a few pics but they didnt really turn out great....swirls were there but not very apparent or at least to capture with the camera (even with a hand held 500W Halgoen and an LED torch....i was outside mind not in a dark garage).

Swirls seemed to be removed though after one decent hit on a 12"x12" area, i used Menzerna IP RD3.02 on a 135mm Menzerna polishing pad with my Kestrel DA polisher. Took me about 2 hours to get it done and i didnt even go over it with some finsh polish (Menzerna PO85RE on a Menz finishing pad), looks fine as it is but i think i'll see if it gives it anything extra.
The vertical panels might be easier to photograph so i'll keep trying on that front! Probably going to be a case of a panel at a time in the evenings, with wash-clay-wash-dry on each prior to polishing.
Dont forget to Seal and protect before you call it a night if your not doing the whole car. Dont want to compromise the lovely finished paint.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens for a Reason!

14 TT Black Edition
07 Z4 2.0 SE Jet Black
06 Freelander Sport Java Black