Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

caliper spruce up

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
tiglon

caliper spruce up

Post by tiglon » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:25 pm

Please excuse the stupid questions - but do you need a high temp paint for calipers, and are we talking about applying with a brush rather than spray?
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

caliper spruce up

Post by Pondrew » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:40 pm

tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:25 pm Please excuse the stupid questions - but do you need a high temp paint for calipers, and are we talking about applying with a brush rather than spray?
The paint one not a stupid question and one which seems down to personal taste. I used to think that calipers had to be removed and stove enamelled with ultra high temperature expensive paint. Turns out not so. Maybe if you were racing around a track all day the paint may 'melt' off but for everyday use 'normal' Hammerite paint holds up well.
I did all mine with a very small artist's brush while still attached to the hubs. The protruding hubs of the discs are really easy to paint aswell and look so much better than standard. As said above I find it very therapeutic and the difference is instant. Also a 250ml tin of hammerite will probably paint every caliper on every car in the world; twice. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

tiglon

caliper spruce up

Post by tiglon » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:52 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:40 pm
tiglon wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:25 pm Please excuse the stupid questions - but do you need a high temp paint for calipers, and are we talking about applying with a brush rather than spray?
The paint one not a stupid question and one which seems down to personal taste. I used to think that calipers had to be removed and stove enamelled with ultra high temperature expensive paint. Turns out not so. Maybe if you were racing around a track all day the paint may 'melt' off but for everyday use 'normal' Hammerite paint holds up well.
I did all mine with a very small artist's brush while still attached to the hubs. The protruding hubs of the discs are really easy to paint aswell and look so much better than standard. As said above I find it very therapeutic and the difference is instant. Also a 250ml tin of hammerite will probably paint every caliper on every car in the world; twice. :D
Brilliant, thank you :thumbsup:

A job for a summer day!
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

cococola

caliper spruce up

Post by cococola » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:02 pm

Wow yours were in worse condition than mine, the outcome is a major improvement though. :thumbsup: 8)
Bmw Z4 such fun :D

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

caliper spruce up

Post by Zedebee » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:33 pm

You can take the caliper holder off the car without disconnecting the caliper, just make sure the caliper is supported and not left dangling. This means you can give the give the caliper holder a good scrub and clean (a drill with a wire brush attachment is good here) and allows you to paint into a few more nooks and crannies than if you paint it fully assembled.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

caliper spruce up

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:42 pm

I would be careful of taking the rear calipers off the E89 if it can be avoided, as the motors for the e-brake are a pig. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!