Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof broken again, only half closes

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 31, 2023 3:41 pm

z4lincs wrote: ↑Sat May 27, 2023 8:24 pm Decided to give it a go this afternoon and total success, saved myself a couple of hundred quid there which was what the indy were going to charge πŸ™Œ
Excellent! :thumbsup:
Without the knowledge of the forum I think we would have all paid through the nose to have this work done. Don't think there can be many E89s left that haven't had at least one set of microswitches fail!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Msport

Post by Msport » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:20 am

Thanks for the update gents, I am going to try doing mine also.

I have ordered the sensors from BMW, Β£19.90 each.

Any additional tips from having done the job yourselves?

My only question from the video is regarding marking the nuts - not having looked at the arm yet I assume the nut position can easily be changed hence why I need to mark the original position in the arm before removing?

Wish me luck 🀞🏻

SteveNortham

Post by SteveNortham » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am

Very straightforward swapping over I found :)

The nut position can be changed on the bracket, and has play in it to allow alignment etc - i just marked round it with a paint pen so could it them all back exactly where they were - no issue with roof opening etc once back on.

Msport wrote: ↑Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:20 am Thanks for the update gents, I am going to try doing mine also.

My only question from the video is regarding marking the nuts - not having looked at the arm yet I assume the nut position can easily be changed hence why I need to mark the original position in the arm before removing?

Wish me luck 🀞🏻

z4lincs

Post by z4lincs » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:04 pm

SteveNortham wrote: ↑Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:25 am Very straightforward swapping over I found :)

The nut position can be changed on the bracket, and has play in it to allow alignment etc - i just marked round it with a paint pen so could it them all back exactly where they were - no issue with roof opening etc once back on.

Msport wrote: ↑Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:20 am Thanks for the update gents, I am going to try doing mine also.

Wish me luck 🀞🏻
Yeah paint pen did the trick for me. And I found mine were right at the far end of the bracket space and needed some pressure rather than just being where they sat naturally.

E89 20i (ish) M Sport Valencia Orange
Gone: E85 2.0i, 2.5si & 3.0i

Msport

Post by Msport » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:51 pm

Thanks both, probably a stupid question but I'm in the middle of doing mine and can't unclip the microswitch connector - any tips?
Attachments
PXL_20230617_115006937.jpg
PXL_20230617_115006937.jpg (118.87 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Msport

Post by Msport » Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:45 pm

All fixed!!

Thanks so much everyone, well chuffed :thumbsup:

In the end it took me about 3 hours in total, but that is because I didn't know what I was doing and took more trim etc than I need to off.

In the end I couldn't disconnect that electrical connector so I just cut the cable off higher up and spliced on a new microswitch - then did that the other side in about 10 minutes and avoided needing to cut all the cable ties already in place.

Hoping that's fixed it permanently - no lights on so far and roof works perfectly again :thumbsup: