Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head light washer

Woodie

Head light washer

Post by Woodie » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:33 am

The head light washer that pops out of the bumper, is failing to automatically retract.
Anybody have a DIY fix?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Head light washer

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:15 pm

My current E86 had that problem when I bought it, and had the warning light for washer fluid on!

I found out why when I filled the reservoir and the next morning all the fluid was under the car. :lol:

I don't know if there is a "fix" as I bought a used headlight washer on here and got that fitted. Then I pulled the fuse to stop a repeat!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Head light washer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:30 pm

Woodie wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:33 am The head light washer that pops out of the bumper, is failing to automatically retract.
Anybody have a DIY fix?
It pops out under water pressure and retracts via a spring. If you are careful you can remove the spring and give everything good clean. The springs tend to get a bit 'gunked up'.

Or try a bit of WD40 inside the mechanism with it all intact.

I had the same problem when my car was due for an MOT (as it's an MOT failure it they don't work properly), as my car is never driven in bad weather so the washers are never used. I tried the WD40 but it didn't sort it, so dismantled the springs and gave it all a good clean. Passed the MOT and has been fine since.

Just be careful as everything is a little fragile. You don't want to break the clips that hold the front cap in place.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

matsmith749

Head light washer

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:15 am

I had one fail a few years ago - didn't try the clean up method as it looks like pretty brittle plastic.

Just got a replacement off ebay, 10 mins to fit. About £40 delivered right now.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior