Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Way to open the roof manually

shuchan

Post by shuchan » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:22 pm

Hi there, I have a 2011 Z4 E89 23i
When I tried to open the roof, oil spewed from the ceiling joint and I could not open it.

I think it would be good to replace the oil line or was avoided. So I heard that there is a way to open the roof manually in maintenance mode or something, but I don't know how to do it. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know please.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:07 pm

A lot of info here that may help, but no actual way to open the roof manually as such, but once the pressure is released the roof can be moved, but there are still latches that may be engaged...

viewtopic.php?t=122363
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

shuchan

Post by shuchan » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:39 am

Thaks for your information. I thought about that method, but I don't know how to bleed air out of the oil afterwards. Is there a manual for that somewhere?

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:17 am

As far as I’m aware the roof will self bleed the air out when in use, you would just have to keep topping up the fluid level.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:23 pm

Chippie wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:17 am As far as I’m aware the roof will self bleed the air out when in use, you would just have to keep topping up the fluid level.
100% correct :thumbsup: You just need to operate the roof a couple of times.
Dave

shuchan

Post by shuchan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:24 am

Thanks for the great info. So, I will manually open the roof with the pump hose disconnected and the pressure off. Then, after the repair is complete, I can operate the roof being careful not to drain the oil from the pump and it will finish bleeding the air on its own.

I appreciate your information very much.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:04 am

shuchan wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:24 am Thanks for the great info. So, I will manually open the roof with the pump hose disconnected and the pressure off. ......
NO! Follow the steps at point 3 on that link posted above. Do not disconnect the hose at that point, just release the pressure via the screw.

** Please don't take offence at this, but....
You NEED to follow EVERY step correctly as laid out in that tutorial. It's been written from exact information gained while undertaking the job, I know because I've followed it and it works and it's methodical. If you don't follow it, as it's written, then you could end up with problems.
It's a very long and drawn out job to do, it takes all day (if not more) to complete, and it's not for the fainthearted, once you've started you need to complete it :thumbsup:
Dave

shuchan

Post by shuchan » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:49 am

Seriously, this is a lot of work! Thanks for letting me know.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:49 pm

shuchan wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:24 am So, I will manually open the roof with the pump hose disconnected and the pressure off. Then, after the repair is complete, I can operate the roof being careful not to drain the oil from the pump and it will finish bleeding the air on its own.
OMG, a desaster can be expected.

That is absolutely not a beginners task! You will destroy more parts in the roof than yoú are able to repair. :thumbsdown:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048