Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A little issue

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:37 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:20 pm I'm not aware of any prior paintwork being done to the front bumper, and I've got all the paperwork for the car from purchase. So unless someone surreptitiously removed all references to it, then I think it's original paint from manufacture. It's a 2012 so the wear and tear is probably commensurate with age at this point. But it's the one thing dragging the nice finish of the whole car down.

Incidentally, I was looking at that same bumper on eBay as an alternative to getting mine painted, but it's just as bad if not worse than mine. I'm now trying to fend off my DIY instincts and convince myself that buying a few spray cans of 300 Alpine White from Halfords and patching it up is a terrible idea. I saw a YouTube video of a paintshop guy doing his with rattle cans and it looked really good so a decent finish isn't impossible for £50-60...
I appreciate you don't want it looking bad. So it's probably a good idea to have it repainted properly and then a clear wrap applied to protect it.
My spray painting skills aren't up to much so it'll defo go to a professional for that to be done, once I've prepped it properly first, but like I say I'm in no rush so I can just take my time.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Silverstar

A little issue

Post by Silverstar » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:24 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:20 pm Incidentally, I was looking at that same bumper on eBay as an alternative to getting mine painted, but it's just as bad if not worse than mine. I'm now trying to fend off my DIY instincts and convince myself that buying a few spray cans of 300 Alpine White from Halfords and patching it up is a terrible idea. I saw a YouTube video of a paintshop guy doing his with rattle cans and it looked really good so a decent finish isn't impossible for £50-60...
Of course for the best finish you have to take it to the paint shop but for what little it costs why not try it yourself if you have the time? Not much to loose other than a few quid and bit of time and if it doesn't work out you can always take it to the paint shop. Years ago I patched up the bumper on a white Subaru and it came out just as good as if I took it to the paint shop. Buy your paint from a automotive paint supplier correctly mixed to match the car and you can get a one stage paint mixed up, that is base colour and laquer all in one which will be much easier to do. As for spraying techique keep the can around 8" from the bumper and spray from one end of the bumper to the other and do not release the nozzle on the can until you go past the bumper and remember to overlap the paint as you progress up the bumper.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

BeardyJon

A little issue

Post by BeardyJon » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:32 am

Silverstar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:24 pm
BeardyJon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:20 pm Incidentally, I was looking at that same bumper on eBay as an alternative to getting mine painted, but it's just as bad if not worse than mine. I'm now trying to fend off my DIY instincts and convince myself that buying a few spray cans of 300 Alpine White from Halfords and patching it up is a terrible idea. I saw a YouTube video of a paintshop guy doing his with rattle cans and it looked really good so a decent finish isn't impossible for £50-60...
Of course for the best finish you have to take it to the paint shop but for what little it costs why not try it yourself if you have the time? Not much to loose other than a few quid and bit of time and if it doesn't work out you can always take it to the paint shop. Years ago I patched up the bumper on a white Subaru and it came out just as good as if I took it to the paint shop. Buy your paint from a automotive paint supplier correctly mixed to match the car and you can get a one stage paint mixed up, that is base colour and laquer all in one which will be much easier to do. As for spraying techique keep the can around 8" from the bumper and spray from one end of the bumper to the other and do not release the nozzle on the can until you go past the bumper and remember to overlap the paint as you progress up the bumper.
You're an enabler! :rofl: :poke:
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Silverstar

A little issue

Post by Silverstar » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:06 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:32 am
Silverstar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:24 pm
You're an enabler! :rofl: :poke:
Anything to help! :rofl: :rofl:
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mkinternet

A little issue

Post by mkinternet » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:25 pm

AnubisZed - if you need a front bumper in better condition than the ones on this post, drop me a message. I have an SE one sitting in the garage which is taking up space. Don't want much, say £50 if you collect from Bedford (light silver and would need spraying, has a few marks etc)
E89 - 3.0i Auto 2010
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Wiechers Front Strut Brace
19” MAK LUFT Wheels
H&R Anti Roll Bars (Front and Rear)
Royals Steering Wheel
35i Brake Upgrade
Stage 1 Remap

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:42 pm

mkinternet wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:25 pm AnubisZed - if you need a front bumper in better condition than the ones on this post, drop me a message. I have an SE one sitting in the garage which is taking up space. Don't want much, say £50 if you collect from Bedford (light silver and would need spraying, has a few marks etc)
Thank you very much, but that one pictured above is now sat at home as it was delivered this morning :thumbsup:
Dave

BeardyJon

A little issue

Post by BeardyJon » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:09 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:42 pm
mkinternet wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:25 pm AnubisZed - if you need a front bumper in better condition than the ones on this post, drop me a message. I have an SE one sitting in the garage which is taking up space. Don't want much, say £50 if you collect from Bedford (light silver and would need spraying, has a few marks etc)
Thank you very much, but that one pictured above is now sat at home as it was delivered this morning :thumbsup:
Fancy doing a How-To YouTube video on respraying it with a rattle can? For science.. :rofl:
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:15 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:09 pm
Fancy doing a How-To YouTube video on respraying it with a rattle can? For science.. :rofl:
I would but I don't do comedy videos!! :rofl:

** I appreciate I've left myself wide open there!! :?
Dave

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

A little issue

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:37 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:09 pm
that would be very useful :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:20 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:37 pm that would be very useful :thumbsup:
There are how-to videos on YouTube already that cover this subject :thumbsup:

OK, update.
The bumper is here and I've opened up the packaging to see how it is. And I'm very happy, the photos were spot on as there is only some minor cracking to the paint and everything else is perfectly fine. So I can start, when I have time, to do the crack repairs to the paint and sand it all down and prep it ready for the paintshop.
Very happy bunny :D

So as a reference for anyone wanting to swap over to the M-Sport bumper there is a lot of talk about the brackets being different, well they're not. What is different is the tow eye cover, all three lower grills and the three sections of the inner air ducts (as photo, only photo I could find of all three together). Now I'll test fit the bumper to see how much difference there is with these air ducts, and if it just requires a trim with a knife then I'll do that.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230705_101203_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230705_101203_eBay.jpg (100.21 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Last edited by AnubisZed on Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Christopher72

A little issue

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 pm

What part number are we looking at there... and I see that you even paint your floor silver.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:29 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 pm What part number are we looking at there... and I see that you even paint your floor silver.
Centre section is 51 74 7 903 728
Left is 51 74 7 903 729
And right is 51 74 7 903 730
Those are the specific M-Sport parts.

And that's not my floor :thumbsup:
Dave