Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No Start Intermittently on Z4 3.0si coupe

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:35 pm

Hi guys I need your help I’m fairly new to owning a z4 purchased it last September. My car runs great except on occasion. I go to start it but nothing happens. Nothing!, doesn’t even crank over. My battery & alternator are good. I’ve replaced my starter, ignition switch, and just yesterday my clutch safety switch. Still won’t start intermittently. Any thoughts ideas on the situation. Oh and no codes are popping up sooo. I’m thinking the starter relay switch possibly? Otherwise I’ve been doing some reading & it could be the IBM module. On schematic it goes,
(KEY FOB) - (EWS BOX)- (IBM MODULE)= (STARTER) I can’t tell if my starter is staying engaged at all but it sure is hot. I didn’t think they were supposed to get so hot that it would burn you? Is this a symptom of my issue ya think? Any help would be appreciated
07 Z4 e86 3.0si 6spd, Red, supersprint headers & supersprint power loop muffler, active autoworkz tune, Quaife lsd 3.74 ratio

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:39 pm

Starter shouldn't get appreciably hot as it only runs for a few seconds.

Are you saying that, when it doesn't start, you're leaning on the key for a fair while while nothing happens? If it's getting hot under that circumstance then, if you can hear the pinion engaging with the ring gear, then I'd suspect something mechanical is jamming and preventing the starter turning.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:09 pm

The starter doesn’t do anything when I can’t start my car. So when I open the hood and touch the starter, it’s already really hot. Hotter than it should be to my idea. I’m not sure if that means it’s staying engaged if it is then I’m thinking it would be the IBM module.
According to a YouTube video I watched, (Mike MD’s (BMW Won’t start, this is the cause)
07 Z4 e86 3.0si 6spd, Red, supersprint headers & supersprint power loop muffler, active autoworkz tune, Quaife lsd 3.74 ratio

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:11 pm

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lwIiAW4EJ1Y&feature=share
This is the link That really peaks my interest on the issue. What does anyone else think? I can really use some help.

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi Heebs84,

Just a random thought - is your new starter brand new or rebuilt? And when you say it gets hot, do you mean it gets hot when there is no start and no clicking? While it could be a more complicated problem, a starter getting hot means power being dissipated, and if it does it with nothing moving, there's a starter problem - a starter solenoid "powered", but not activating the Bendix assembly, or similar.

My experience with rebuilt starters and alternators has not been good unless I had my own core rebuilt by a reliable local shop - the kind who asks whether I want the OE diode-brush pack & a high quality replacement bearing on the alternator, or whether I want a new solenoid on the starter, and so on.

I hope you get to the bottom on this.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:54 am

I changed keys to see if maybe the key was the issue the car starts up no problem. I only ran the car maybe 10 minutes tops was seeing if any codes popped up, nothing. Shut it off went to poke around the starter and that sucker was hot. I’m starting to wonder if the starter is the problem. It’s a remanufactured one too. I checked all the fuses everything looked good. Im going to bring it back or see if there is a way to test them but I’d like to get a new one & see if that fixes the problem. Im not sure what direction to go.

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:29 am

It’s a remanufactured dura last starter from auto zone. If I warranty it I’d probably get the same one back but Im thinking I’d prefer a 100% new one. What kind, brand of starter does everyone recommend?? There’s remanufactured ones that are pricier then new ones even. Appreciate your guy’s thoughts on this

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:56 am

Not sure if this helps at all but it was only a month before it started intermittently not cranking starting again. It seems like if I tap the starter the car ends up starting again. The last time it happened I wasn’t going to tap it but nothing was working. So I tapped it while my daughter turned the key it didn’t start. We tried again & it started right up. I’m not sure if was the tapping or just a coincidence that it started? It’s super frustrating though I never know when it’s going to happen.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:41 pm

I think you've got another duff starter on your hands. I wonder if it was the "wipe it over with an oily rag" school of reconditioning?
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

TOMGREEN413

Post by TOMGREEN413 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:03 pm

Sounds like a faulty starter motor.
White e89 Red leather interior (But that's the wife's and don't I know it :/ )
Montego Blue Coupe manual si sport 💙 (Faster than the above....much faster :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:20 am

Brake light switch also will stop car starting, try replacing that.

Heebs84

Post by Heebs84 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:05 pm

Ok so I ended up taking starter off brought it in for a them to test it. It passed but it didn’t sound good 3 of the employees agreed. So I ended up getting a duralast gold series brand new ! I put it in a with a heat resistant wrap around it so it doesn’t get heat soak. Also put some heat resistant sleeves around some of the wiring as well. So far so good . I plan to replace the power distribution module as well for safe measure.