Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Auto Lights, something odd

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:01 am

OK so I've retrofitted automatic lights (plus auto wipers) and they are working fine, or are they?....

So I've driven to work all this week at 05:45, the sun is in the sky and it's been a lovely start to each day. As I start the car the lights come on, and stay on for the entire trip. Now this is odd as it's nice and bright out and the sun is out.
Now this morning I've come to work, and it being a Saturday I've left at 06:45, and the weather is dull and rainy, the most miserable gloomy day this week. The lights are not on! Although to be fair they did come on about 10 minutes later as it got quite duller as it pee'd it down.

So why the difference? Is it a time affected setting I'm not aware of (nothing in the manual and nothing in INPA when setting/calibrating it all up). Or is it really that bad at recognising when the sun is out?
So you guys that have it as a factory option, have any of you noticed this before?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:50 am

Mine are pretty good, seem just about right about coming on/off.

Respond in tunnels etc after only a couple of seconds too.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:07 am

matsmith749 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:50 am Mine are pretty good, seem just about right about coming on/off.

Yeah mine seem to work all OK otherwise, they come on and off in the right places. There is a section on my way to/back from work where it is over shadowed with tall trees so they come on there and quickly off again afterwards, so they are working, it's just this early morning drive to work.
At the end of the day (well the beginning actually :rofl: ) I'm not really bothered, just thought I'd see if anyone else has noticed it. Of course there is a point here, with the OE cluster there isn't a "lights-on" light, it's just the cluster back lighting that comes on so a driver would probably not notice in the conditions I'm noticing it in. I'm noticing it because I've got the digital cluster fitted and that does have the "lights-on" light to tell you.
Dave

obewan

Post by obewan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:21 am

matsmith749 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:50 am Mine are pretty good, seem just about right about coming on/off.

+1 :thumbsup:

If it's a retro fit, is the sensor location the same
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:34 am

obewan wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:21 am

+1 :thumbsup:

If it's a retro fit, is the sensor location the same
Yes all retrofitted correctly to the original spec/locations etc and calibrated using INPA (the correct way). So no other issues at all, everything works.
Dave

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:13 pm

With the original fitment there is a small indicator light built into the switch control panel to tell you when the lights are on. When you did the retrofit did you replace this for one with the indicator light? Possibly your lights weren’t switching off due to the angle of the sun and how or if it hits the sensor. On mine I have noticed in dull rainy weather it does not switch on the lights, probably because it doesn’t think it’s dark enough.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:26 pm

The Auto Lights on the 6 BMWs I've had with them fitted have always worked in car parks, tunnels, etc. as expected.

But sometimes they turn on when it isn't that gloomy at dusk, yet on a grey drizzly day with less visibility sometimes they don't. :roll:

I'm sure there is a technical explanation!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:54 pm

The switch still functions manually if you want to make the decision yourself, like the good old days.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:43 am

I just leave them on all the time.
My colleagues car didn't have the selection on the lights knob, was permanently auto.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:52 am

Silverstar wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:13 pm With the original fitment there is a small indicator light built into the switch control panel to tell you when the lights are on. When you did the retrofit did you replace this for one with the indicator light? Possibly your lights weren’t switching off due to the angle of the sun and how or if it hits the sensor. On mine I have noticed in dull rainy weather it does not switch on the lights, probably because it doesn’t think it’s dark enough.
Yes I fitted the correct switch unit and the LED works as it should, although can't be seen while driving, same as the auto wiper LED.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:53 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:26 pm The Auto Lights on the 6 BMWs I've had with them fitted have always worked in car parks, tunnels, etc. as expected.

But sometimes they turn on when it isn't that gloomy at dusk, yet on a grey drizzly day with less visibility sometimes they don't. :roll:

I'm sure there is a technical explanation!
Yeah my wife's Ford Kuga is that way too, strange.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:54 am

matsmith749 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:54 pm The switch still functions manually if you want to make the decision yourself, like the good old days.
Yes you've got to have that choice :thumbsup:
Dave