Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water coming in between roof and windscreen plus whistling sound at speed?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:48 am

It looks like my roof is not clamping down with the same force as it used to..

It used to ‘clang’ on parking itself on the windscreen top…

Seals seem good.

I’ve now parked the car for extensive periods with the roof down in the garage..wonder if that’s somehow contributed to this ?

Any ideas / adjustments ?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 am

Rather than the actual roof, is there any chance leaving it down has allowed a build up of dust and debris in the latches on the top of the screen?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 am Rather than the actual roof, is there any chance leaving it down has allowed a build up of dust and debris in the latches on the top of the screen?
I’ll have a look but it’s pretty much a clean room in the garage…there’s hardly any dust on any interior parts so seems improbable….

I wonder if the seals have gone ‘off’ in some way…seems again implausible..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:11 am

B21 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 am
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 am Rather than the actual roof, is there any chance leaving it down has allowed a build up of dust and debris in the latches on the top of the screen?
I’ll have a look but it’s pretty much a clean room in the garage…there’s hardly any dust on any interior parts so seems improbable….

Maybe not having the roof to hold them in place has allowed them to deform?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:38 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:11 am
B21 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:09 am

Maybe not having the roof to hold them in place has allowed them to deform?
I thought that but seems counterintuitive…without the seals being pinched by the roof you’d expect them to expand not compact…

It’s the lack of a resounding clunk when the roof shuts is the issue I think..it used to make a noise that would make you jump now it’s more soft close…

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:42 am

It does sound like a problem with the seals, rather than the mechanical parts (if it is locking in place OK on both sides).
First thing I would do is moisten all seals relating to the top roof panel with warm soapy water a good few times. Then put plenty of gummi pflege (or similar) on all the seals a few times.
Then go from there...

Of course it could be the 9,000nm of torques ripping the roof away from the windscreen..... :poke: :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:46 am

B21 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:38 am I thought that but seems counterintuitive…without the seals being pinched by the roof you’d expect them to expand not compact…

It’s the lack of a resounding clunk when the roof shuts is the issue I think..it used to make a noise that would make you jump now it’s more soft close…
That could be the problem....maybe the seal between the roof and the rear window section has expanded slightly, so 'pinching' as the roof gets to the locks. That could potentially soften the close
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:22 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:42 am It does sound like a problem with the seals, rather than the mechanical parts (if it is locking in place OK on both sides).
First thing I would do is moisten all seals relating to the top roof panel with warm soapy water a good few times. Then put plenty of gummi pflege (or similar) on all the seals a few times.
Then go from there...

Of course it could be the 9,000nm of torques ripping the roof away from the windscreen..... :poke: :D
I’ve treated the seals a few times changing them from ‘crusty’ to ‘smooth’..maybe that’s the issue..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:24 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:46 am
B21 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:38 am I thought that but seems counterintuitive…without the seals being pinched by the roof you’d expect them to expand not compact…

That could be the problem....maybe the seal between the roof and the rear window section has expanded slightly, so 'pinching' as the roof gets to the locks. That could potentially soften the close
Given the force that the roof mechanism uses to c,lsd the roof I’m not sure my slightly more compliant seals are going to go much…quite a whistle at speed..I’ll have to investigate further..