Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Expecting owner - later this year

First port of call for new members
brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:25 am

go on... how much was it? an unrepaired CAT N bought at auction, gotta be cheap. £1500?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:59 pm

So you couldn't wait OP! Welcome to Z4 ownership. :thumbsup:

Hopefully you'll find a wing the right colour soon.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Cannon1891

Post by Cannon1891 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:57 pm

brillomaster wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:25 am go on... how much was it? an unrepaired CAT N bought at auction, gotta be cheap. £1500?
With the auction fees it was just over double that! You're super optimistic, maybe in winter.

I was well aware it was Cat N, but really the world has gone mad! Seriously, we're scrapping cars like this with 64K miles on. Insane! I tell myself I'm doing my bit for the environment and stopping classic cars from getting scrapped :)

The auction date was brought forward by a week ( so was the Fri morning, only noticed on Thurs night, this caught me very much off guard and I was very busy the next morning not really ready, didn't really have much time to be looking at a computer screen
I hadn't factored the fees correctly, I'd seen suggested fees, but hadn't picked up they were on a sliding scale, so yes it caught me out a bit.

I understand that I could pick one up in half decent shape with some history for a little bit more, but in good shape with 64K miles I reckon it would be closer to 6K.

I'm not planning on selling and am happy with purchase overall. 100% it was a risky strategy and could of gone t*ts up.

But I have a Z and it makes me smile, and in a few short days, I must have taken about 6 people out in it :thumbsup:
I hadn't told my boys (11&14) I was getting it, they are loving it too.

Cheers

Phil

redgum

Post by redgum » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:17 am

Sounds good to me, there are some nails out there n you should have a low milage car for under five grand. Have you discovered any little niggles yet? Now had mine a week and when the rain stops will clean n re waterproof the lid. I must say the help from the members on here is brilliant, owning a Z4 is not only having a great car but also becoming part of a very big family.

redgum

Post by redgum » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:17 am

Sounds good to me, there are some nails out there n you should have a low milage car for under five grand. Have you discovered any little niggles yet? Now had mine a week and when the rain stops will clean n re waterproof the lid. I must say the help from the members on here is brilliant, owning a Z4 is not only having a great car but also becoming part of a very big family.

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:35 am

ah didnt realise how low the mileage was, thats fair. and as you say, the memories you'll make in it are priceless. :thumbsup:

Cannon1891

Post by Cannon1891 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:40 pm

only issue I had was back brake pads worn out (only one) so assume sticking calliper, just put some cheap pads on to check it was only that and got myself out on the road asap.
That was pretty much it.
I will revisit the brakes over the winter and upgrade the front to something more performance based.

headlight on left is leaking/condensation will refurb have ordered some halo lights which I may install (still undecided), will strip the headlights down, may open them up fully and restore polish lenses etc, replace bulbs with new. Never had xenons before, bit unsure of those.

I drove a full tank of fuel and gave it some welly and it was just awesome, drove perfectly to me anyway.

I've found a Ti silver one in a breakers yard. Will go and see by the weekend. I plan to take the drivers wing and possibly the front bumper. If I change the wing & front bumper, I will have straight body work, it'll just need a spray at some point, this maybe in the winter or early next year.
There's a very slim chance it may look alright. And so far my gambles with this car have paid off :)

I already have the front bumper off for refurbing the lights, so want to crack on and get it somewhere near sorted and out whenever it's sunny