Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport Button - What does it *actually* do?

"M" Specific discussion
mantona

Post by mantona » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:14 am

Picking up on this old thread. The sport button on the Z4M turns traction control off whilst in the standard Z4 it provides a halfway house with some traction control. I don’t do track days so would really like the halfway house option. Can this setting for the sport button be changed - maybe by coding?

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:24 am

The sport button doesn't change the traction control or DSC on either model, you're thinking of the DSC button.
M Track Mode gives a three-stage DSC: fully on (traction control and stability control enabled; traction control off, stability control on; everything off). It can be coded on the ///M fairly easily if you have the correct software - search for a thread called M Track Mode and it will tell you how to do it.
On the road I drive mine in the halfway setting most of the time because I find the traction control too intrusive. On the track, everything off is by far the best option.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

mantona

Post by mantona » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:53 am

Perfect - many thanks for your help!