Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Furniture clinic leather recolouring kit (Large)

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Furniture clinic leather recolouring kit (Large)

Post by True-Blue » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:12 pm

Thought it might be worth sharing some thoughts about the kit I’ve just used from furniture clinic to lightly refurbish my Msport seats, I’ll add a couple of photos later of the results.

I didn’t recolour, I refurbished in factory Pearl Grey, the colour match is excellent and to be clear I’m very happy with the final results, but…

I ordered the large kit, the website suggests this is sufficient for an entire interior, front and rear seats.

This contains;

Leather prep - strong solvent based (I think) liquid to strip old finish from leather.
Alcohol cleaner - this is just isopropyl alcohol as far as I could tell
3 cans of compressed air for the airbrush.
2 large bottles of colour matched paint
1 bottle of gloss lacquer
1 bottle of Matt lacquer
2 x 15ml bottles of binder for the lacquer
2 scouring pads
A very small amount of cotton wool balls
A few small cotton cloths
3 sponges for applying colour
An airbrush & attachments

For anyone buying this kit, unless you’re well stocked with cotton wool and cloths, you’re going to struggle immediately at the ‘removing old finish’ stage. Luckily for me, I was, so I was able to crack on.

There are nowhere near enough cotton wool balls and cloths, even just for two front seats, which is really frustrating as this is literally the lowest cost part of the kit! - not good enough furniture clinic!

The reason I ordered the large kit was because I thought I’d have ‘more than enough’ to do a medium sized job. I’d read reviews that suggested ordering ‘the next size up’ was a good idea. The medium kit has two cans of compressed air, I’ve used virtually all 3 from this kit on just two front seats. :|

I am now left with;

1 unopened bottle of pearl grey colourant plus at least 50% of the first bottle!
Half a bottle of leather prep
Half a bottle of leather cleaner
A near full bottle of Gloss finish
1/2 a bottle of Matt finish
1 x 15ml bottle of binder (for the lacquer)

This is enough to do another pair of front seats, so in some respects the large kit is enough to complete the tasks it’s designed for but in others not at all.

Overall, very happy with the result, but think they need to rethink the kit content :thumbsdown:

Not the best photo, but a decent finish :thumbsup:
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1659.jpeg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i