Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 - Drivers size window buttons broken

hubert

Post by hubert » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:53 pm

• The drivers side window buttons have stopped working. There are 5 window buttons on the drivers side door, none of them do anything.
  • All the windows still work fine when putting the roof up and down.
  • The door windows still drop a few mm to clear the seals when opening the doors and go back up after closing.
  • The passenger side window button (on the passenger door) also still works fine.
  • The mirror controls still work fine.
  • As far as I can tell, the central locking still works fine.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? It seems like it is not the window motor, not a fuse, not wiring loom fault, and not the central locking unit which I have seen suggested in other forum posts. Do I need a new button unit? Is it s software fault? Is it a sensor thing?

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:51 pm

Could be button unit or the loom inside the door. You say it's not the wiring - but how do you know that? I'm not aware of any software or sensors that might cause this, so you have basic troubleshooting to do.

I would take off the door card, check for the obvious - is it connected? Is the wiring damaged in any way?

All the wiring inside the door is on a seperate loom which connects at the hinge of the door frame - is this properley connected? Also check the socket on the switch module for the window controls.

Check the fuses - there are half a dozen that relate to the electic windows / door controls.

Part number 9216104 - not the cheapest thing in the world to replace, but cheaper than a diagnostic at the dealership.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:49 pm

I had problem with the connector inside the door.
I noticed the illumination was out.
All windows stuck down.
Cleaned the connector with contact cleaner, fine since.

danielquezada

Post by danielquezada » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:59 am

Hello, if there are no visible physical issues, you can try removing the button unit from the door panel and testing it separately. Disconnect the electrical connector from the button unit and use a multimeter to check for continuity when pressing the buttons. If the buttons do not produce any electrical signal or if there are inconsistencies in the readings, it suggests a problem with the button unit itself and it may need to be replaced.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 pm

danielquezada wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:59 am Hello, if there are no visible physical issues, you can try removing the button unit from the door panel and testing it separately. Disconnect the electrical connector from the button unit and use a multimeter to check for continuity when pressing the buttons. If the buttons do not produce any electrical signal or if there are inconsistencies in the readings, it suggests a problem with the button unit itself and it may need to be replaced.
All of the buttons are on a PCB, a multimeter isn't going to do this for you.

I appreciate this is a slightly older post, so for future reference...
The chances are water has dripped from the window at some point and has ingressed into the switch unit, this will short out the PCB and thus making one or more buttons not work properly.
The solution is either find a really good electronics person to repair it, or replace it with a new one.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:02 pm

Not always a faulty switch TBF - my old car had a faulty door loom, replace by BMW for about £200 for the loom itself, then £170 for safe disposal of the old loom (liberty!) plus about £150 labour.

Should have looked myself & stuck a bit of tape on it.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:52 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:35 pm
danielquezada wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:59 am Hello, if there are no visible physical issues, you can try removing the button unit from the door panel and testing it separately. Disconnect the electrical connector from the button unit and use a multimeter to check for continuity when pressing the buttons. If the buttons do not produce any electrical signal or if there are inconsistencies in the readings, it suggests a problem with the button unit itself and it may need to be replaced.
All of the buttons are on a PCB, a multimeter isn't going to do this for you.

I appreciate this is a slightly older post, so for future reference...
The chances are water has dripped from the window at some point and has ingressed into the switch unit, this will short out the PCB and thus making one or more buttons not work properly.
The solution is either find a really good electronics person to repair it, or replace it with a new one.
Or with luck..in my case, after 3 days it dried out and normal service resumed ..phew.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:09 pm

Stupid fad putting buttons on doors, especially Z4 where rain water drips on to buttons.
Awkward position as well, plenty of space if on centre console.