Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel hubs

First port of call for new members
geofff

Wheel hubs

Post by geofff » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:50 pm

Hi, Just bought a Z4 in beautiful condition (10 years old, high mileage). A previous owner has glued in the wheel hub with expanding foam!
I've bought some new centres and was planning on smashing out the old, glued in, hubs in order to fit them.
Is this the best approach please?

Special Kay

Wheel hubs

Post by Special Kay » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:17 pm

Hi Geofff, welcome to the forum. As a general rule we always advise new members to post pictures of your car asap. We love pictures!!. As to your dilemma, I find it moronic that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would use expanding foam to stick a hub cap to an alloy wheel. However, my course of action would probably entail using a knife to carefully cut out most of the foam, trying my utmost to avoid damaging the wheel. Unfortunately I can't recommend any spray to get rid of the residue, but I would use soap and water first with an old toothbrush. Good luck :thumbsup:

geofff

Wheel hubs

Post by geofff » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:55 pm

Thank you SK.
I've tried to get a blade under the cap but can't. I do have some acetone which should disolve the external foam but won't penetrate under the cap (I will try). The only solution I see is to smash the plastic caps and scrape out the mess. Didn't want to do this in case there was something else under the cap (just being extra cautious).
Will post picture soon :)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel hubs

Post by Nictrix » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:40 pm

Take the wheel off and knock them out from the inside
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Wheel hubs

Post by B21 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:55 am

As Nitrix says from he other side it’s easy..I had something similar and put a large socket that was just small enough for the centre bore and used that with great success..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

Wheel hubs

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:19 pm

Yep, take the wheel off or try (as your not using the caps again) put a screw partly into the centre and use that to pull it off with pliers

geofff

Wheel hubs

Post by geofff » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:35 pm

Thank you for the responses . Given me confidence to get on with it. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Wheel hubs

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:56 pm

Good luck getting it sorted, and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

We do like to see photos of new members' cars BTW!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black