Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Chippings

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Chippings

Post by Busterboo » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:11 am

Why does this Mickey Mouse little country we live in re-surface roads with chippings, letting cars worth billions of pounds do the work of rolling them into tarmac, all the while posting signs with the lie 'Beware Skid Risk', which really mean 'We're bu$$ering your paintwork & windscreens and we don't care'?
Vidi, vici, veni

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Chippings

Post by buzyg » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:27 am

Because they can. We get it all the time around here on the main A roads. Little point slowing down when the traffic coming the other way is still doing 50. :headbang: I do any way and pull right over into the gutter. :wink:

brillomaster

Chippings

Post by brillomaster » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:55 pm

spend £5m on a good job, and it'll last for 20 years. or, spend £1m for a crappy sprinkle of gravel every year.

obviously, councils never have enough money, so will opt for the short sighted, £1m every year option...

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Chippings

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:03 pm

It's really frustrating, and doesn't result in a decent surface as any imperfections don't get filled in. :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:51 am

Well at least one road i go down they made reasonable job.
Laid the grit on tar, then few days later came back and laid another layer of tar over the top.
Much better to bind it.

But they missed a patch where their equipment, or should say a piece of sacking was left on road, which turned to giant pothole for 6 months.
They finally filled it. At least one car had been damaged, car with hazards and police looking into hole (old joke)..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by flybobbie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:54 am

One road got done in winter, all tar and grit lifted a week later, really dangerous, especially on motorbike.
I complained to council highways.
Yes you stupid Staffordshire council.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by MikeyH » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:17 am

Been bad around here for years, try to avoid chippings. Potholes over potholes, notice it more now I have the Zed. Been a chipping warning sign left by the road for months now since they did the job :headbang: waste of money for us all. Did hear on the news that the gov. were starting a new resurfacing program. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by ronk » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:48 pm

They blame it on the weather - but I've been on roads in the Black Forest in Germany that are at circa 1400m yet the seem to survive the weather conditions.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by MikeyH » Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:58 pm

German engineering, that’s what that is. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Chippings

Post by flybobbie » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:36 pm

So where does tar come from as seeing we have no coal industry.
Was it a by product of coal gas, guy who invented tarmac saw tar sticking stones together.
Perhaps imported tar, as usual is cheap rubbish.
There were tar mines.
One in Iron bridge, you can go down.

RAYK47

Chippings

Post by RAYK47 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 pm

It's a complete lazy arse job. Made worse when you are on your motorcycle and turn onto one of these roads.