Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter storage advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
smorris_12

Winter storage advice

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:36 am

ronk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:13 pm Do Not start the car unless absolutely necessary!
Absolutely this bit!

Also, make sure the last run before parking it up gets it properly hot to ensure engine and exhaust are fully dry.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

SSF

Winter storage advice

Post by SSF » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:23 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:40 pm
SSF wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:49 pmWhy would you buy a hardtop convertible and treat it like a ragtop? I drive it the whole winter when I can; I actually prefer it in the winter because it's rwd and fun to drive in the snow.
That's cool - That's how I learned the difference between summer and all-season tires - the hard way :headbang: ... several of my E46 convertibles I ran all year and they were ragtops. For some of us, these are seasonal cars, not because of any limitation of the E89, just because we have other cars. I use an AWD SUV to deal with Ohio late fall and early winter.... or rainy days... or big flocks of birds.... :o
I have an xDrive 7 series as my people carrier, so if I want safety and comfort - I can use that one in the winter, but the Z4 is definitely more fun to drive (as always). And that's exactly what I bought it for. Especially in fresh snow, with the top down - it's priceless.
ronk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:13 pmFill the fuel tank as full as possible, trickle charge, handbrake off - Do Not start the car unless absolutely necessary!
I don't know about filling the tank; petrol will degrade quite a lot in the months the car is stored (assuming it's at least 3 months). I'd keep the fuel level low and refill it (from a canister, for example) with fresh one before starting it in the spring.
2016 E89 28i | Melbourne red | Kansas / Canberra beige

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Winter storage advice

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:53 pm

The tank should be filled to minimise air space in the tank and thus surface area for condensation to form on the tank wall.
The fuel does not degrade enough to notice - I store mine for five months sometimes six using this regime and never had the hint of a hiccup when I start using the car in the springtime.

If you do an internet search, you will see that petrol will last for a year if stored in a sealed container.

Apart from anything else, it’s not going to be cheaper in few months!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Christopher72

Winter storage advice

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:56 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:53 pm The tank should be filled to minimise air space in the tank and thus surface area for condensation to form on the tank wall.
The fuel does not degrade enough to notice - I store mine for five months sometimes six using this regime and never had the hint of a hiccup when I start using the car in the springtime.
Never thought of condensation... At any rate, if someone is storing for a year you can add some petrol stabilizer, correctly dosed. We only have about 4+ months of too cold for topless.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

SSF

Winter storage advice

Post by SSF » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:34 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:53 pmIf you do an internet search, you will see that petrol will last for a year if stored in a sealed container.
Yes, I've seen this phrase (it usually says "6 months to one year without significant degradation" though). But if you read the next one, you'll see that "However, fuel that is exposed to oxygen, moisture, or contaminants can deteriorate more quickly, resulting in reduced quality, lower octane rating, and increased levels of sediments or sludge." Meaning as soon as it comes out of the pump, it enters in contact with oxygen and moisture and starts degrading. Filling the tank doesn't count as resealing the container.

Now this is not something I'm sure of, it's just what I read on the internet (multiple sources though), but this is how I see the situation.
2016 E89 28i | Melbourne red | Kansas / Canberra beige

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Winter storage advice

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:35 pm

“Is exposed to” isn’t the the same as “has been exposed to”
That’s how I read it and from experience a six month storage has never been a problem at start up.

I will be filling my tank etc late October and putting it into hibernation and expecting a flawless start up in April as usual :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

smorris_12

Winter storage advice

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:36 pm

SSF wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:34 pm Filling the tank doesn't count as resealing the container.
<Sigh> I honestly think the internet will be the end of civilisation.

If you fill the tank you drive out all of the air. There is nothing left for the fuel to interact with, get upset at or diffuse into.

If you don't fill the tank, the petrol will vaporise until it pressurises the tank as far as it can and then stop. Equilibrium is reached. There's a finite amount of oxygen to react with and, when it's done doing that, then stasis is again reached. I don't even think petrol reacts with oxygen, but my chemistry is rusty.

Any which way, and especially for some tiny amount of time which 6 months counts as, nothing is going on.

I actually think that "petrol going off" is a complete myth going back to the days of unsealed tanks or ancient cars that leaked all the vapour out.

I've had cars sat for 18 months and been fine. A neighbour has just dug out his late wife's car that's been sat for 4 years. Again, fired straight up.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

craigdm

Winter storage advice

Post by craigdm » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:57 pm

I'm all against car covers these days after using one on my MX5 about 5 years ago.
Flapped around too much and tore itself to bits in the first winter storm.
Not before causing the paintwork to blister on both doors and wings. Quite a common problem when you do some research.
Z3 rare 2L Straight 6. Should have kept it!
E85 3.0Si sold back in 2014. Should have kept it!
E89 20i just arrived 2021