Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N/S side light not working

peteinnit

Post by peteinnit » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:33 pm

Hi all,
The circular side light is not working on one side only, I have tried a new bulb but the problem persists, the headlight and beam work fine. I thought about a fuse, but I'd be surprised if there was separate fuse for each side light, I will check though. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and found a fix? I'm really hoping it isn't a wiring problem! I've a '62 plate E89.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:43 pm

You could try swapping the bulbs from side to side to double check its definitely not the bulb
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

peteinnit

Post by peteinnit » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:49 pm

Will do that in the morning :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:26 pm

peteinnit wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:33 pm Hi all,
The circular side light is not working on one side only, I have tried a new bulb but the problem persists, the headlight and beam work fine. I thought about a fuse, but I'd be surprised if there was separate fuse for each side light, I will check though. Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and found a fix? I'm really hoping it isn't a wiring problem! I've a '62 plate E89.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter
Common fuse through the FRM so unlikely to be a fuse…check grounding..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

peteinnit

Post by peteinnit » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Well it's definitely not the bulb :x

Couldn't find the ground, but it's pretty tight in there so couldn't see much of anything. Guessing I need to remove the whole headlamp unit and or some panels to find where it is, any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:08 pm

So do you get bulb out warning before or after you remove the bulb.

Remove wheel arch liner and can unplug main connector into unit and use contact cleaner.
light.jpg
light.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 310 times

peteinnit

Post by peteinnit » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:55 pm

Bulb out warning light came on with bulb in place. It was intermittent for a couple of days. When it first came on I checked the lights and all were working, when it came on a second time the side light wasn't working. The sidelight was then intermittent for a day before stopping altogether. I'll take the wheel liner off and have a look. Thanks.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:22 pm

Beware the FRM module acts as a resettable fuse system up to a point ..then it permanently blocks the circuit…a decent BMW specific code reader is your friend here..as it is on so so many issues on E89s…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: Previously a slightly less modified Atacama Yellow 20i MSport :thumbsup:

peteinnit

Post by peteinnit » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:56 pm

All sorted, gave everything a good clean, living by the seaside has been a bit detrimental. Thanks for all the tips. Cheers

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:00 pm

That’s a great result 👍
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather