Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remove boot trim panel and high level brake light

How-To articles are in here.
Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Here's a guide on how to remove the rear boot trim panel to get access to the rear high level brake light and boot locking mechanism.

This is all really straight forward. :)

Tools needed:

- V shaped trim removal tool
- T20 torx screwdriver
- 8mm socket
- 4mm socket or 4mm inside diameter tube
- Small flat bladed screwdriver

#1 Open the boot and unclip and remove the warning triangle (blue box in picture).

#2 Remove the two torx bolts (highlighted) securing the warning triangle brackets with the T20 torx driver.

#3 You now need to remove the 15 clips that secure the boot trim panel as highlighted in the next picture. I used a V shaped trim removal tool that slots cleanly behind the top part of the clip and allows you to pull the clip forward. Once the clip has been pulled forward with the trim tool, you can then pull the complete clip out by hand. Once all 15 clips have been removed you can pull the trim panel out.

#4 Next you need to unclip the power cable that goes to the high level brake light as shown in the next picture.

#5 Once the cable has been uncliped, you need to remove the two 8mm nuts highlighted in yellow on the far right and left. Then you need to push the two white plastic clips back through the boot (highlighted in blue). I did this using a 4mm hex socket to compress the white plastic fitting and push it through, you could also use a small pipe with a 4-5mm internal diameter to do the same thing. Hold the panel above the high level brake light whilst you are pushing the two white clips through to prevent it falling off.

#6 Once the securing nuts have been remove and the clips pushed through you can remove the middle boot panel and rear brake light by pulling upwards and backwards to disengage the three rear securing clips on the panel (highlighted below).

#7 To remove the high level brake light from the panel you need to unclip the four square white clips the secure the high level brake light. I found the easiest way to do this was to put a small flat bladed screwdriver through the recess hole at the bottom of the clip and push it upwards to release the clip.

#8 Your now done. Here's the rear of the panel and the high level brake light.

Replacement is just running through the above steps in reverse.

Nickm

Re: Remove boot trim panel and high level brake light

Post by Nickm » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:00 pm

You going for the clear rear brake light??

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Nickm wrote:You going for the clear rear brake light??

Is there one available for the E89? Anywhere?
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Z4-35i

Post by Z4-35i » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 am

I couldn't find any clear or tinted alternatives, so I tinted the brake light with some tinting spray. I'm not 100% happy with the level of the tint though, so will probably look to apply some further coats of the tint spray to get a darker finish.

Nickm

Post by Nickm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I've seen someone do it on the E89 forum.....

Obicoke

Post by Obicoke » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:29 am

Has anyone got any photos or videos on how to do this? I've removed both philips screws from the handle part and the T20 screws from the side. But it's still solid. Clips must be holding it, but I don't want to snap anything. Need to replace the brake light.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:32 pm

Obicoke wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:29 am Has anyone got any photos or videos on how to do this? I've removed both philips screws from the handle part and the T20 screws from the side. But it's still solid. Clips must be holding it, but I don't want to snap anything. Need to replace the brake light.
Attachments
IMG_2126.jpeg
IMG_2126.jpeg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 620 times
IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_2127.jpeg (51.56 KiB) Viewed 620 times
IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_2128.jpeg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 620 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: