Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Littering

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by MikeyH » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Some years ago I took an old plastic bath tub to the tip and was told I'd have to pay £5.00 to leave it. I took it home much to my wife's annoyance. Over the next few months I broke it into little pieces and put it in the non recycling bin little piece by little piece. :thumbsup: Not the money but the principle. It made me feel good. :thumbsup: :evil:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by Pondrew » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:10 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:52 pm Some years ago I took an old plastic bath tub to the tip and was told I'd have to pay £5.00 to leave it. I took it home much to my wife's annoyance. Over the next few months I broke it into little pieces and put it in the non recycling bin little piece by little piece. Not the money but the principle. It made me feel good.
I take great delight in pouring old engine oil down my drains. I also buy baby wipes in bulk and flush them just to make sure the water company is working for their extortionate charges.

One thing I have noticed is if I wear a 'hi vis' tabard when visiting the tip the skip rats are very pleasant to me. Downside is the public keep asking 'which bin should I put this in?'. Telling them 'feck off, do I look like I would work at a tip?' gets a little wearing! :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by MikeyH » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:12 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:10 pm
MikeyH wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:52 pm Some years ago I took an old plastic bath tub to the tip and was told I'd have to pay £5.00 to leave it. I took it home much to my wife's annoyance. Over the next few months I broke it into little pieces and put it in the non recycling bin little piece by little piece. Not the money but the principle. It made me feel good.
I take great delight in pouring old engine oil down my drains. I also buy baby wipes in bulk and flush them just to make sure the water company is working for their extortionate charges.

One thing I have noticed is if I wear a 'hi vis' tabard when visiting the tip the skip rats are very pleasant to me. Downside is the public keep asking 'which bin should I put this in?'. Telling them 'feck off, do I look like I would work at a tip?' gets a little wearing! :D
Love it :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by Nanu » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:48 pm

I just bag up the garden waste and it goes in the general waste bin. No issues with out bin men who on the whole are great.

A couple of my neighbours have got together and share the garden waste bins and the cost.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Littering

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:58 pm

There's no excuse for littering, but I can sort of see why fly-tipping happens.

A mate of mine has a small Berlingo van but couldn't take it to the council tip unless he paid. Now he's got a VW Sharan so he can take twice as much rubbish for free!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by dr_john » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 pm

Try getting rid of paint around here - I needed a permit from the local council to drop off a few half empty cans. It only allowed 12 cans, I had about 20 to get rid of, built up over a few years.

The guy on the gate said ‘dump it over there mate’, so I dumped the whole lot and he couldn’t care less.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by MikeyH » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Yes, old paint tins with old paint in them is not easy to dispose off. Even the skips we hire won’t take them. :headbang:

Chippie

Littering

Post by Chippie » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:46 pm

My local tip (recycling centre) are pretty good to be honest (it’s privately run), to be able to use my van I have to register online every year with a copy of the V5 and proof of address, that allows me 12 visits per year, depending on when you visit the queues can be ridiculously long and walking back and forth between the various skips can be a pain but I like to think I’m doing my little bit for the environment 😁
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by Pondrew » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:03 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm Yes, old paint tins with old paint in them is not easy to dispose off. Even the skips we hire won’t take them.
Which is why every house in the Country has multiple tins of old paint in the shed/ garage when you buy them.
The old phrase "we've left you some spare paint and fence treatment in the shed in case you need it" is bollox. They couldn't get rid of it like the rest of us.

Whenever I hire a skip (I have to save up for a while these days) the first thing they say is "NO PAINT". I always say "so what am supposed to do with it; drink it?"
And don't even get me started with old tyres! It's got to a stage where I am going to phone Michelin and tell them to come and get their old tyres, as it seems that is the ONLY way of disposing of them! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by MikeyH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:08 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:03 am
MikeyH wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm Yes, old paint tins with old paint in them is not easy to dispose off. Even the skips we hire won’t take them.
Which is why every house in the Country has multiple tins of old paint in the shed/ garage when you buy them.
The old phrase "we've left you some spare paint and fence treatment in the shed in case you need it" is bollox. They couldn't get rid of it like the rest of us.

Whenever I hire a skip (I have to save up for a while these days) the first thing they say is "NO PAINT". I always say "so what am supposed to do with it; drink it?"
And don't even get me started with old tyres! It's got to a stage where I am going to phone Michelin and tell them to come and get their old tyres, as it seems that is the ONLY way of disposing of them! :)
I was at the tip a while ago and one the ‘little Hitlers’ ran over and was shouting that someone had just thrown a tyre in the skip. He looked really crest fallen when he realised he was wrong. :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Littering

Post by mmm-five » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:27 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:17 pm Yes, old paint tins with old paint in them is not easy to dispose off. Even the skips we hire won’t take them. :headbang:
Our 2 local council tips have specific bins for them, don't know how they dispose of it after that...and don't care :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

pvr
Legend
Legend

Littering

Post by pvr » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:32 am

Oops. I just put a load in the skip and they have taken it away :o

To be fair, the painters from the company put their empties in it as well so I just thought I would add from my 20+ years collection :oops:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo