Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light after seat swap

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Alan-G

Post by Alan-G » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:31 pm

Hi all,

I have recently swapped my bucket seats from my sport to my SE as I suspect the sport will be written off soon following a recent rear end shunt. Since doing so the airbag light has been on in the dash. Has anyone had the same issue and managed to find out the cause?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:42 pm

Did you disconnect the battery before doing the swap?

If not it should be a simple enough job resetting the airbag light using a code reader that can do the job
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Alan-G

Post by Alan-G » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:52 pm

Yes I had the battery disconnected as I swapped the steering wheel over too. Cleared the code with Carly but the light came back on. I can’t remember the exact details of the fault code but it pointed to the seats. Can check again tomorrow.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:16 pm

I’m betting your seat occupancy sensor is not compatible in the passenger seat then

I’ve had the same- if that is your issue you’ll need to buy a seat occupancy and seatbelt emulator for a few quid from eBay

If there is an age difference in the cars it means the seats aren’t always immediately interchangeable
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

Alan-G

Post by Alan-G » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 pm

There’s only around 6 months age difference between them. I presumed everything would work ok with the exception of the seat heating.

I don’t suppose you would have a link to the emulator? There appears to be a couple of different ones? Is it just the one I need?

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:36 pm

What code reader are you using? If C310+ you have to hunt around in the sub-menus for the b-pillar airbag sensor to reset. You may have reset another airbag code and missed that one.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:49 am

Alan-G wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 pm There’s only around 6 months age difference between them. I presumed everything would work ok with the exception of the seat heating.

I don’t suppose you would have a link to the emulator? There appears to be a couple of different ones? Is it just the one I need?
Depends which underseat plugs you have as to which one to buy- but there are only two types depending on age of the seat both on eBay

But zedebee is right double check you have a code reader that can get to and clear the code before buying anything else

EWS Delete PM me

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Alan-G wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 pm There’s only around 6 months age difference between them.
Pre- and post-facelift ones have different occupancy sensor mats and electronics. If the fog lights are the same on both cars, the seats should be interchangable.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:13 pm

I didn't think Carley could clear airbag faults?