Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another air bag light on

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another air bag light on

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:11 pm

Mr_E85Bim wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:50 pm So I got the Creator 410. I have carried out a test and no fault codes have been found? I carried out clear fault regardless.
Then I thought I would then try removing the fuses listed for the airbags. I think 13 and 45 (I used the fuse card). Each time I turned the ignition with the fuse out. The light remains on. :headbang:

Anybody have any ideas?
No codes at all? Anywhere?
Don't just look at the Airbag system as I think you can also get as code on the instrument cluster.
If you haven't already, do a full system scan.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Another air bag light on

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm

Wouldn’t it make the light come on, not having the fuse in? It would think there is a fault?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Another air bag light on

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:35 pm

MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm Wouldn’t it make the light come on, not having the fuse in? It would think there is a fault?
If it went off with the fuse removed, there would be a lot of cars going in for an MOT with that fuse removed ....
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another air bag light on

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:42 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:35 pm
MikeyH wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm Wouldn’t it make the light come on, not having the fuse in? It would think there is a fault?
If it went off with the fuse removed, there would be a lot of cars going in for an MOT with that fuse removed ....
Good point, though technically they are supposed to check it comes on for a few seconds then goes out.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr_E85Bim

Another air bag light on

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:11 pm
Mr_E85Bim wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:50 pm So I got the Creator 410. I have carried out a test and no fault codes have been found? I carried out clear fault regardless.
Then I thought I would then try removing the fuses listed for the airbags. I think 13 and 45 (I used the fuse card). Each time I turned the ignition with the fuse out. The light remains on. :headbang:

Anybody have any ideas?
No codes at all? Anywhere?
Don't just look at the Airbag system as I think you can also get as code on the instrument cluster.
If you haven't already, do a full system scan.
Ah I did not check all the individual options. Will take a proper look once I am done working. There doesn't seem to be an option for a full system scan. Need to do each individually :roll:

I saw a short clip on YT where he takes a fuse out and it goes off?! But it was another model of E series.

Will update shortly.

Thank you all :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another air bag light on

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:34 pm

Mr_E85Bim wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm There doesn't seem to be an option for a full system scan. Need to do each individually :roll:
Should have bought the Autophix :poke: :D

djlogan33

Another air bag light on

Post by djlogan33 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 pm

The air bag light will not go out by itself. You have to clear it manually with a code reader after you resolve the problem.
I lived with the air bag light on for over a year, when I thought there was a serious problem with the air bag or seat sensor. I read that there is a small wire attached to the positive battery cable that when there is a bad connection, it turns on the air bag light.
I had trouble keeping the wire with a good connection, which made me reconnect the wire and clear the code a couple of times.
I finally reconnected the wire and used electrical tape to hold it in place and cleared the code.
I have not had an air bag light problem for over 9-months.
I use a BMW C110+ Code Scanner to read and cleared the air bag codes.
djLogan

- E86 Z4 M-Coupe
- E36 M3
- F25 X3 xDrive35i with M-Sport package

Mr_E85Bim

Another air bag light on

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:11 pm

djlogan33 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 pm The air bag light will not go out by itself. You have to clear it manually with a code reader after you resolve the problem.
I lived with the air bag light on for over a year, when I thought there was a serious problem with the air bag or seat sensor. I read that there is a small wire attached to the positive battery cable that when there is a bad connection, it turns on the air bag light.
I had trouble keeping the wire with a good connection, which made me reconnect the wire and clear the code a couple of times.
I finally reconnected the wire and used electrical tape to hold it in place and cleared the code.
I have not had an air bag light problem for over 9-months.
I use a BMW C110+ Code Scanner to read and cleared the air bag codes.
Thanks DJ I will take another look at the positive side cables :thumbsup:

Do you have a pic of the connection you had to tape up by any chance?

djlogan33

Another air bag light on

Post by djlogan33 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 pm

I do not have a photo, but you should see it easily.
My BMW C110+ Code Scanner did identify an "Air Bag Light" issue, but didn't go in detail.
I could clear the code, without making a better connection with the small black wire, but the air bag light would come back on.
Only after making a better connection with the wire and clearing the code, did the air bag light stay off.
After lots of research, I read if the air bag system senses something wrong with the battery, for safety reasons, it will warn you be turning on the air bag light.
Again, fixing the problem alone, will not turn off the air bag light, it has to be manually cleared with a code reader.
djLogan

- E86 Z4 M-Coupe
- E36 M3
- F25 X3 xDrive35i with M-Sport package

Mr_E85Bim

Another air bag light on

Post by Mr_E85Bim » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:00 pm

So I found the following error codes. I cleared them and they have not come back BUT airbag light remains on. There are no other fault codes returning after I cleared it.

There is one option that remains loading but does nothing - central chassis electronic

Thoughts will be appreciated as always gents
Attachments
20240115_162715.jpg
20240115_162715.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 70 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another air bag light on

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:05 pm

Airbag modules are on the k-bus loop and you seem to have a code for that. But nothing specific