Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DAB+

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tonyg

DAB+

Post by tonyg » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:09 am

I have a 2015 Z4.
I love Classic FM which is moving to DAB+. I’m assuming my car isn’t compatible, though of course I could use FM?

Is there any kind of adapter I could use that plugs into the system, preferably via a cable as I just find Bluetooth totally weird πŸ˜€πŸ€ͺ on the Z4!!

tiglon

DAB+

Post by tiglon » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:02 am

I think classic fm will still be available over the Internet as well, so you should be able to listen via alexa auto or your phone.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

DonDon

DAB+

Post by DonDon » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:30 am

tonyg wrote: ↑Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:09 am I have a 2015 Z4.
I love Classic FM which is moving to DAB+. I’m assuming my car isn’t compatible, though of course I could use FM?

Is there any kind of adapter I could use that plugs into the system, preferably via a cable as I just find Bluetooth totally weird πŸ˜€πŸ€ͺ on the Z4!!
Or you could fit an MMI unit like the mr12volt unit which will give you wireless Apple Car Play and Android Auto. AnubisZed has a YouTube channel and includes vids on fitting it.
2013 E89 28i auto

buzyg
Legend
Legend

DAB+

Post by buzyg » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:54 pm

tiglon wrote: ↑Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:02 am I think classic fm will still be available over the Internet as well, so you should be able to listen via alexa auto or your phone.
:thumbsup: Another CFM listener wondering about this one. Hopefully my Mx5 has DAB.

AnubisZed

DAB+

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:36 pm

Well you "may" already have DAB+, or you may not, there was an upgrade from DAB only to DAB & DAB+. This was only a Firmware update with an FSC code from your local dealer.

But to check if you can currently receive DAB+ check this list out....
https://getdigitalradio.com/23-national ... ng-in-dab/
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

birdy_z4

DAB+

Post by birdy_z4 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:38 pm

Mine is 2010 no dab as standard, have a mr12volt dab box fitted and also the mmi box

Dab reception when it works is good but reception not always great which is frustrating as in our other newer car mini and others it works great all the time.

Mmi radio works well as long as you have phone and data plan

DonDon

DAB+

Post by DonDon » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm

To my surprise, with the S609A Nav System Pro and S654A DAB tuner, I have now got Classic FM on DAB after retuning for it; I can only assume that a previous owner got the firmware upgrade done. I can now put the stubby aerial back on; I had put the original whippy one back on to get Classic FM on FM as the stubby reception wasn't very good, but it is now not required.
2013 E89 28i auto

Kevin

DAB+

Post by Kevin » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:54 pm

DonDon wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:34 pm To my surprise, with the S609A Nav System Pro and S654A DAB tuner, I have now got Classic FM on DAB after retuning for it; I can only assume that a previous owner got the firmware upgrade done. I can now put the stubby aerial back on; I had put the original whippy one back on to get Classic FM on FM as the stubby reception wasn't very good, but it is now not required.
Good to hear that! My car only has FM, but that's OK for me - DAB can be hit or miss in Scotland (as is the mobile signal)!!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

DAB+

Post by Pondrew » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:50 pm

Kevin wrote: ↑Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:54 pm DAB can be hit or miss in Scotland
DAB is hit and miss everywhere IME. PITA in my opinion. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

tonyg

DAB+

Post by tonyg » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:04 pm

AnubisZed wrote: ↑Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:36 pm Well you "may" already have DAB+, or you may not, there was an upgrade from DAB only to DAB & DAB+. This was only a Firmware update with an FSC code from your local dealer.

But to check if you can currently receive DAB+ check this list out....
https://getdigitalradio.com/23-national ... ng-in-dab/
Well Classic FM is still working on DAB in my 2015 E89 Z4 - so I'm guessing I do have DAB+. My car had problems about a year ago with the computer unit and the general computer software was updated. I'm guessing maybe this did the update required?

AnubisZed

DAB+

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 pm

tonyg wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:04 pm Well Classic FM is still working on DAB in my 2015 E89 Z4 - so I'm guessing I do have DAB+. My car had problems about a year ago with the computer unit and the general computer software was updated. I'm guessing maybe this did the update required?
Well as their website states it's moved over to DAB+ as of 2nd Jan this year and that you can still receive it then I'd say you're good to go then. It could be that you had DAB+ already from the factory, although DAB+ didn't start in the UK until 2016.
There is one other possibility that I must mention, and that is "Service Following" where, if (user) enabled, and you're travelling along and the DAB signal isn't strong enough it'll switch over to the FM frequency (obviously for stations that have both!). So there is a slight possibility that if this is enabled and it can no longer 'see' the DAB frequency then it is switching over to the FM one instead automatically.

One question, have you undertaken a retune of your DAB stations?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

tonyg

DAB+

Post by tonyg » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:45 pm

AnubisZed wrote: ↑Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:38 pm
tonyg wrote: ↑Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:04 pm Well Classic FM is still working on DAB in my 2015 E89 Z4 - so I'm guessing I do have DAB+. My car had problems about a year ago with the computer unit and the general computer software was updated. I'm guessing maybe this did the update required?
Well as their website states it's moved over to DAB+ as of 2nd Jan this year and that you can still receive it then I'd say you're good to go then. It could be that you had DAB+ already from the factory, although DAB+ didn't start in the UK until 2016.
There is one other possibility that I must mention, and that is "Service Following" where, if (user) enabled, and you're travelling along and the DAB signal isn't strong enough it'll switch over to the FM frequency (obviously for stations that have both!). So there is a slight possibility that if this is enabled and it can no longer 'see' the DAB frequency then it is switching over to the FM one instead automatically.

One question, have you undertaken a retune of your DAB stations?
I think when it switches over to FM it shows the FM symbol in a rather "strange" font and it seems to be working without that font. I haven't retuned it and it's still working so I think I do have DAB+ and assume it's from the software upgrade but who knows!?