Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E89 2010 passenger rear quarter window

How-To articles are in here.
Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:20 pm

Hi, just had a cable break on my rear quarter window on the passenger side and trying to remove it to repair, has anyone on here ever done this as I am struggling to see how its attached.

Searched uTube for info but nothing found, all Torx bolts are removed from the top and the interior panel that holds the speaker has been removed but cannot see anything holding it there, it seems to be stuck at the bottom somewhere but cannot see where it would be attached, other than removing the rear wing to have a look I'm stumped

Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Update: decided to remove rear wheel and arch liner and found it, one Torx bolt behind a grommet, removed that and the whole unit came out through the top after taking the roof down, found a replacement unit online so its now covered up to protect from the elements until it comes tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2544.jpeg (170.97 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Last edited by Mick on Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:14 pm

Here you go
Attachments
IMG_2172.png
IMG_2172.png (358.5 KiB) Viewed 517 times
IMG_2171.png
IMG_2171.png (306.26 KiB) Viewed 517 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Mick

Post by Mick » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:58 am

Thank you very much for this info, I did'nt expect a response so quickly so I battled on yesterday and eventually got there.
What a great group to be in.

kevink

Post by kevink » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:55 pm

This topic was very helpful.

I was hearing and seeing a clunking sound when the driver's side rear quarter window would pass in either direction (up/down) at the 3/4 down point. After window and regulator removal, I was able to eventually see that the plastic anchor point for the window cable had a loose torx screw. I tightened up the screw, cleaned and re-greased all 3 regulator tracks/guides and the problem was resolved. The window is super smooth and operates 100% correctly.

I am confirming that the instructions worked for my 2012 Z4. I had to remove the rear wheel and the wheel well cover/insert. Then, remove the plug shown in the picture and remove the lower torx screw. One assembly tip that may help is the screw can be inserted into the regulator and turned only a couple times and then when the regulator is dropped into position, the torx screw head slides into a slotted anchor point. This was way easier than dropping the regulator into position and then trying to insert the screw through the wheel well and into the regulator.

Additionally, I had to remove the seat-belt shoulder anchor point to get the window/regulator unit to come out. Also had to remove a one-way plastic rivet that holds the power window electrical wires out of the way and keeps them anchored at the top of the window regulator. The window with regulator could not be removed without removing this electrical wiring anchor rivet first.

I hope these notes/tips come in handy for you someday.

Kevin

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

B21 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:14 pmHere you go
Hey B21, do you happen to have the full repair guide for this? My passenger rear quarter window has given up the ghost today. The motor still works, but it doesn’t move the window. (It Had been working, but clunking for a while).
It’s very free - I can just move it up and down with my hands now.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm
Hey B21, do you happen to have the full repair guide for this? My passenger rear quarter window has given up the ghost today. The motor still works, but it doesn’t move the window. (It Had been working, but clunking for a while).
NewTIS is your friend .. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm
Felixlamb wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm
NewTIS is your friend .. :thumbsup:
Luckily I've come across a full factory service repair manual. Looks like a pretty binty job especially as I'm reluctant to open the roof for easier access in case it won't come back down. I'll have a fiddle around and see.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport