Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rust question on possible purchase

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Moto450cc

Post by Moto450cc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:26 am

Hi
I'm a new member looking to buy 2003 3.0 Z4.
Mechanically it seems to be sound, it has a full bmwfs but the body work is a bit tatty.
It all seem superficial, the odd scrape here a small ding there but the big worry is there is rust bubbling on top of the rear wings where the convertible top kinda goes down behind.
It's on both side and about an inch long.
Would it be just surface rust or indicative of more serious issues?
I understand the wings just unbolt, so if it's superficial, I'll happily remove them to get the issue sorted bit if it's a little bit of a serious issue, I may pass.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Last edited by Moto450cc on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:25 pm

Rust on the body panels is generally not something the E89s seem to suffer from.
Most of the body panels are aluminium, only the doors, rear wings and bootlid are steel.

If it has the same problem both sides, in the same place, it could be a problem with the roof shell catching at some point in the past, which is not good, whether it was a mis-aligned roof, or accident damage. The roofs are incredibly complicated and therefore can be extremely costly if they have a major problem. If the car is, or has been, knocked out of shape then the issues are obvious.

Pictures would be good, but appreciate that could be difficult if you haven't bought it.

Just from the details given, I think I would walk away and find another one, but good luck! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Moto450cc

Post by Moto450cc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:05 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I made a typo; it's a 2003 with a soft top.
A check revealed it has no serious accidents and there's no evidence of one either. Panel colours and gaps are constant.
I feel this car has great potential, I'm after a project and I think I can use the issues to get it for a good price

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:15 pm

If the rust is bad, then it can look like this underneath https://zroadster.org/threads/nessie-ro ... 2-5.49539/

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 pm

On a 2003 rust on wings isn't too unusual given their age.

But as you say all wings are bolted on so not structural and replacements come up for sale on here from time to time. Although some colours are easier to find than others!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black