Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New aftermarket intake upgrade?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:10 am

Greetings,
I have been in contact with a few different people in the hopes of developing a replacement hose for the stretch of intake between the box and the throttle body. Obviously the stock one is somewhat restrictive, what with the excessive baffles and the (resonator/silencer?) attached to it. So I want to create a carbon fiber direct fit replacement tube. Not only would it look beautiful, it'd still use the stock intake box to maintain that OEM appeal, and might even result in a gain of a few horses. The concept would fit into the inside of both fittings of the throttle body and the airbox, replacing those thin metal rings that are on the insides. Currently the cost to develop a CAD model of it, and outsource the production of the part is going to be more than it is worth, but if other people are interested then I might go through with the development. As it stands I don't believe there is a single product on the market that is like this, not even a silicone option, but only total intake replacements it seems. Please feel free to share any input or alterations you might want to suggest.
Cheers
3.0i z4, every aero mod on the planet, stage 3 intake swap + tune. Remember guys, you can't fail if you don't try. :thumbsup:

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 pm

What benefits are there between this and a silicone item?
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

solo_the_lad

Post by solo_the_lad » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:54 pm

Darkangelv2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 pm What benefits are there between this and a silicone item?
Arguably no difference. I looked into development with silicone instead of carbon as well, however it didn't seem a lot cheaper, also the company I was in communication with would not make the part unless a minimum of 30 were ordered. I did not really look into silicone injection, which is the cheaper route for silicone tubes. Both options would have high heat resistance, carbon fiber of course would look better.
3.0i z4, every aero mod on the planet, stage 3 intake swap + tune. Remember guys, you can't fail if you don't try. :thumbsup:

Darkangelv2

Post by Darkangelv2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:43 am

solo_the_lad wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:54 pm
Darkangelv2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 pm What benefits are there between this and a silicone item?
Arguably no difference. I looked into development with silicone instead of carbon as well, however it didn't seem a lot cheaper, also the company I was in communication with would not make the part unless a minimum of 30 were ordered. I did not really look into silicone injection, which is the cheaper route for silicone tubes. Both options would have high heat resistance, carbon fiber of course would look better.
Makes sense - my immediate assumption was that silicone would have been cheaper, but if it's not CF will look great
BMW Z4 2006 2.5SI - 437M Wheels - Strut Brace - H&R ARBs
3.0si Brake Conversion - Custom Nappa Sport Interior - Z4M Bumper+Bonnet -
BC Racing BR Coilovers - AFE Stage 2

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:07 pm

Well here's mine N52 engine, mishimoto, cost me about £55
Went for blue ,personal choice , it felt smoother and a bit noisier in the cabin,
Attachments
20230825_191448.jpg
20230825_191448.jpg (99.53 KiB) Viewed 157 times

Neens76

Post by Neens76 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:16 pm

AlienZed wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:07 pm Well here's mine N52 engine, mishimoto, cost me about £55
Went for blue ,personal choice , it felt smoother and a bit noisier in the cabin,
No idea what this is and where it goes :rofl: but it looks awesome.