Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help me with my new suspension please....

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm
Given that the knuckle bolt not only clamps the strut tight but also sits between the two lugs on the strut to prevent it moving up and down I very much doubt it isn't fully located. If it wasn't then the hub would slide off the strut. Been there, done that. Definitely don't drive it anywhere until you've checked though.
Could be one spring not quite seated. Try a few lock to lock turns.
Or simply that with weight on the car, one spring is slightly weaker than the other.
I assume you've rolled it back and forth several times to settle it all down? The front legs tend to droop inwards when they are lifted, so you need to roll it a bit to get them to realign themselves.
will try to take a couple of photos showing how far the strut protrudes. Will also look at some full locks.
After installing the new setup, I did drive the car home for about 4 miles. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:34 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:30 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm
Given that the knuckle bolt not only clamps the strut tight but also sits between the two lugs on the strut to prevent it moving up and down I very much doubt it isn't fully located. If it wasn't then the hub would slide off the strut. Been there, done that. Definitely don't drive it anywhere until you've checked though.
Could be one spring not quite seated. Try a few lock to lock turns.
Or simply that with weight on the car, one spring is slightly weaker than the other.
I assume you've rolled it back and forth several times to settle it all down? The front legs tend to droop inwards when they are lifted, so you need to roll it a bit to get them to realign themselves.
will try to take a couple of photos showing how far the strut protrudes. Will also look at some full locks.
After installing the new setup, I did drive the car home for about 4 miles. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
If you've driven it without any knocks and bangs then the strut is located properly. The springs should also have settled themselves so it won't be those.
Really only leave a slight difference in spring strength, or maybe just measured on a surface that wasn't quite flat.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:34 pm
If you've driven it without any knocks and bangs then the strut is located properly. The springs should also have settled themselves so it won't be those.
Really only leave a slight difference in spring strength, or maybe just measured on a surface that wasn't quite flat.

Knowing me, it’s probably my lack of being able to use a tape measure properly…….
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 pm

Checked the dimensions again today. The rears seem to the same as yesterday, so possibly settled? However both fronts seem to have dropped another 5mm each side. So although lower, one side is around 5mm now different.
E86 Z4 Coupe 2006 Silver

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:45 pm

chanlon1 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 pm Checked the dimensions again today. The rears seem to the same as yesterday, so possibly settled? However both fronts seem to have dropped another 5mm each side. So although lower, one side is around 5mm now different.
That’s interesting Maths? :?
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i