Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Change rocker cover gasket 4cylinder

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Taffndebs

Post by Taffndebs » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:00 pm

Hi new to the group and 1st time owner of a z4
I am looking to change the rocket cover gasket on my 4 cylinder does anyone have a how to video as all I can find is for a 6 cylinder
Thanks

tug

Post by tug » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:16 am

Can't help with with gasket as never done one but i think enuff_zed has. Hopefully he will see this and be along to help.

Also, welcome to the forum. I have basically replied as to bump your post up to help a fellow 4 potter.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:19 am

Morning, sorry I missed this before. Don't have a video, but it is pretty straightforward tbh.
Take the engine brace off for access, then it's pretty much a case of removing all the bolts.
You may find the cover is stuck on quite tight.
I would recommend though that you also change the seal around the eccentric cam sensor, where the plug pokes through the top cover.
If you need any more help, PM me your mobile and we can Whatsapp video if that helps?

I'm guessing with a name like Taff you'll be miles away from me, but if you happened to be near Norfolk I'd happily help you with it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:33 am

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showpart ... Id=11_3179
Ensure you note where the cover retaining bolts live, some are different and fit in one place.
Use Blue Hylomar gasket sealant only around the half moon shapes of the gasket where it changes direction the remainder doesn't need any sealant on it.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Taffndebs

Post by Taffndebs » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:47 am

Hi thank you for your message, hopefully I’m getting there all the videos I found were of the 6 cylinder engine, but if I get stuck will def take you up on your offer of what’s app cheers
Taff

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:16 pm

Taffndebs wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:47 am Hi thank you for your message, hopefully I’m getting there all the videos I found were of the 6 cylinder engine, but if I get stuck will def take you up on your offer of what’s app cheers
Taff
Or speak to colb if he's near you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

colb

Post by colb » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:48 pm

Where are you located, helps to add location and car model to your User details so they appear on the left of your posts.
If you are in South Wales our local groups Zedshed Cymru based at my home garage could assist with replacement, we do jobs on each others cars when needed, up to the member if they make a donation to the Shed to cover consumables and running costs, nowhere near Garage labour charges and you come armed with any parts that are required.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

Taffndebs

Post by Taffndebs » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:12 pm

Hi
Thanks for reply I’ve tried updating profile with location and a pic of car but it don’t let me add it to the avatar maybe it’s cos I’m a newbie but we are in Shropshire so not far from Wales