Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ignition relays

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

Ignition relays

Post by domsz4 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:29 pm

Are there any kind of relays on the ignition system?

I had a thread a while back about it where the ignition switch was suggested as a solution. This crops up in various places so I replaced it and still have the issue.

It’s very predictable -. The car will turn over and either not fire up or takes an age. It turns over fine isn’t sluggish. If i stop trying to start it and then immediately try again it fires instantly. It’s almost like there is no spark first time round.

Only ask about the relay cos there was one in a Clio I had once that had exactly the same symptoms.
Proud Whip owner ;)

srhutch

Ignition relays

Post by srhutch » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:26 pm

What ignition lights are on when it doesn’t fire up?

domsz4

Ignition relays

Post by domsz4 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:11 pm

srhutch wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:26 pm What ignition lights are on when it doesn’t fire up?
Sorry just seen this.
There is absolutely no difference in the dash between firing and not. It’s really weird… there’s nothing to give a starting point for investigation
Proud Whip owner ;)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Ignition relays

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:15 pm

Starter motor?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Vanne

Ignition relays

Post by Vanne » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:21 am

Weird, your sure you replaced it with a working ignition switch? AHH hang on.. so car turns over every time you turn the key?try this, if you disconnect the batt and then reconnect it after 20 secs or so, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

Spark is one of those things generally it either works or it doesn't.. fuel.. well that's a complete other story.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3