Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First port of call for new members
Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm

GingerGiant101 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 pm Im 19, paying 3.6k a year, 1 year ncd. Tbf i got quoted 3k on the focus, varies alot by area. At my dads house i was quoted 7.5k.
Ouch, my son’s was about £900 at 19, now down to just under £600 three years later. It’s a normal policy with Admiral and he didn’t have any NCD. His quotes for “normal” cars were much higher. I really don’t understand how the insurance companies set their premiums, :scratchhead:
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:20 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:39 pm So in the first year you’ve given the insurance company more than the car is worth, and they know full well any little dink will be a write off. So worst case for them, they give you 3/4 of that back.
Thieving gits!
What if he runs into a Ferrari, or badly injures another road user? The insurance companies risk is not limited to just the Z4.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 am

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:20 am
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:39 pm So in the first year you’ve given the insurance company more than the car is worth, and they know full well any little dink will be a write off. So worst case for them, they give you 3/4 of that back.
Thieving gits!
What if he runs into a Ferrari, or badly injures another road user? The insurance companies risk is not limited to just the Z4.
Yeah, but be realistic, the car owner doesn't give a toss, all they see is their cost.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:22 pm

When you think that 'any' repair to any car these days is £1000 minimum to insurers and a 19 year old male is about as high risk as they come (no offence to the OP, it's just the way it is statistically) then the premiums make sense a bit.
I have a 17 year old daughter. All of her age group peers are passing their tests. I know of at least 4 already who have had accidents. All quite minor but will result in claims.

If body repair and mechanics didn't charge £200 an hour and parts weren't rip-off money, maybe insurance premiums would be quite a bit lower all round. :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!