Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2008 Z4 Top Won't Go Down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Boomer43

Post by Boomer43 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:29 pm

Just bought car. two days after buying, top won't go down. No lights to either top up or top down button when pushed. Possible solutions please? Easiest first.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sadly not under better circumstances.
Whereabouts are you? We have a few roof fixers dotted about the UK.
No lights at all? No sound at all?
Has it ever worked in your short ownership? If so, any odd noises or issues?
Check fuses 12, 31 and 55 (a big orange 40A one)
Anything else not working?

I have had an issue with the roof appearing dead and it turned out the windows needed a reset. Has the battery been off or run flat?
If the roof doesn't know where the windows are it swon't work.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Boomer43

Post by Boomer43 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:12 pm

I am in Florida USA. Picked up car on Saturday, and roof worked until today. No lights and no sounds now. I will check fuses after work today. The hazard flashers and inside door lock button next to it do not work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:15 pm

Boomer43 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:12 pm I am in Florida USA. Picked up car on Saturday, and roof worked until today. No lights and no sounds now. I will check fuses after work today. The hazard flashers and inside door lock button next to it do not work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Check fuses, but that sounds like it may be the GM5 module playing up.
It causes all sorts of issues with lights and windows.
Tbh, you really need to get the codes read. As it's new to you, read them, then clear them all and see what comes back.
FYI, most people on here are UK based, but we can still happily help out, albeit with a bit of time lag.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Boomer43

Post by Boomer43 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:14 pm

Thank you for your advise.

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 pm

New to you Z4, were you checking out how things work? Go to your trunk (boot if you're in the UK) and check if the trunk shelve is in the up position. You'll see a knob under the shelve on either end, turn these and you'll see the shelve move up/down a little. Turn the knob's so the shelve is in the lowest position. After doing so try your top.

These knob moves the shelve up/down to allegedly provide more trunk space storage.

However, if you try and lower the top when the shelve is in the up position, to prevent damages, when the top is lowered, the system turns off.
You push top down and nothing starts and there are no lights. This is what you reported is happening to you.

Hope it's simply the shelve because that an easy fix by turning the knob. Good luck

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:59 am

Jas- USA wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 pm New to you Z4, were you checking out how things work? Go to your trunk (boot if you're in the UK) and check if the trunk shelve is in the up position. You'll see a knob under the shelve on either end, turn these and you'll see the shelve move up/down a little. Turn the knob's so the shelve is in the lowest position. After doing so try your top.

These knob moves the shelve up/down to allegedly provide more trunk space storage.

However, if you try and lower the top when the shelve is in the up position, to prevent damages, when the top is lowered, the system turns off.
You push top down and nothing starts and there are no lights. This is what you reported is happening to you.

Hope it's simply the shelve because that an easy fix by turning the knob. Good luck
Pretty sure that the shelf in the wrong position gives a yellow flashing light?
Maybe your finger is obscuring that though?

colb

Post by colb » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:33 am

If its had a flat battery then perhaps its gone into Transport Mode and closed down some of the systems. Is your heater fan working as in all speed settings, is the radio still working? Roof also gets closed down by Transport Mode as it tries to conserve what power is left for starting the car.
If in Transport mode then that can be reset using BMW Scanner 1.4 on a Laptop. Higher end Tablet Scanners will also delete it from all modules so it never sets itself again when battery power is low/flat.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url