Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fluid leak coming onto the fuel tank

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
InterlagosMC

Post by InterlagosMC » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:50 pm

Hi guys, what lines run above the fuel tank on our cars as I found damp patches on both outer edges of the fuel tank and a large amount of fluid on lines running above the fuel tank, I know it’s not the rear diff at all as I only changed the front input seal about 18 months ago and that area is dry.

My car is an m coupe if that makes any difference

Thanks
2007 Z4M Coupe

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:59 pm

Brake pipes
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:12 pm

That could be it, the pipe to the driver's side rear brake runs across the bulkhead behind the fuel tank, although if that is leaking that much it would probably be pretty obvious driving it!

I'm not sure if the Coupe has any roof drains in that area?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

InterlagosMC

Post by InterlagosMC » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:44 pm

I did think brake lines but when I checked the ends of the hard lines they all look in good condition, it’s not water as it leaves a residue with clumps with the dirt. I’m going to keep checking the brake fluid reservoir for a drop in level and will keep an eye on the fuel gauge as I barely drive the car. I’m doing a subframe rebuild in the summer so I can properly investigate it then. I was wondering if it’s the fuel filter seal weeping
2007 Z4M Coupe

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:07 pm

My 2nd E86 got MOT advisories 2 years running for the rear brake pipes being corroded, but the corrosion was at the end of the plastic cover in front of the rear passenger side wheel where road dirt builds up and holds water so hopefully it isn't a brake pipe. I got them replaced in Kunifer.

Hopefully you'll get a better idea of what it is with the subframe out.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

InterlagosMC

Post by InterlagosMC » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:46 pm

Yeah I’d have thought above the tank would be better condition than exposed ends which on my car look clean and free of corrosion. I’ll just add it to the long list of jobs to be done :rofl: :rofl:
2007 Z4M Coupe

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 am

The pipe failing above the tank is a very common thing. I had mine done a couple of years ago.

InterlagosMC

Post by InterlagosMC » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:26 pm

Quick update I’ve been keeping an eye on fuel and brake fluid levels all week as car rarely gets used and both are unchanged since last weekend which is really bugging me
2007 Z4M Coupe

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:40 am

Mine didn't noticeably drop either but it was still leaking. It only takes a tiny amount.