Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soggy boot!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
louie12

Soggy boot!

Post by louie12 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:17 am

Hi all

The boot space in my E85 has started taken on water, which seems to be forming on the underside of the boot lid and then falling into the the boot space. It's not an insignificant amount either, so not just condensation. Any ideas where to start? I've not had any work done on the boot that would cause the change, which has only been happening for the last few months (not winter related as it was happening on summer rainy days too. TIA.
Z4MR silver grey with lots of bits. Now stubby and proud.
Gone: 2007 4 pot Sport. Monaco Blue, cream leather. Whippy and proud.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Soggy boot!

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:44 am

If it's in the middle then check the third brake light seal. If the light is cracked it leaves a gap around the seal.
If it is down the rear corners then it will be coming in through the screw that holds the light trim on.
Or it could be the wells that the roof hinges sit in, filling up with water and sloshing over.
Simply taking the bungs out is not enough, the drains need to be rodded right through every now and then as well.

Most likely that what you are seeing on the boot lid is condensation as the boot warms up and the wet in the carpet lifts.
Also take a good look in the battery tray to be sure that's not filling up.
Get as much of the carpet out, or at least lifted and dry it all out.
Find the leak and sort that, then leave the carpets out until everything is dry.
Also worth getting some of those dehumidifier canisters and leaving a couple in the car.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

NS66

Soggy boot!

Post by NS66 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm

It was the back lights on mine, soaked out each side.
If middle then as suggested probably the middle brake light.
Some of Captain Tolleys sealant used - brilliant stuff.

Sidewaze Samm

Soggy boot!

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:54 pm

louie12 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:17 am It's not an insignificant amount either, so not just condensation.
Don't dismiss it - you'd be surprised just how much can be generated from having water in the well where the roof motor is/was.
Have just sorted my lad's zed - thought it had started leaking into the boot from somewhere again, as the hard top has been fitted for well over a month. Couldn't find anything and turned out we should have checked the well before fitting the hard top. After removing it and then clearing the well drain before refitting, it's been fine since.
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Jacobkayne

Soggy boot!

Post by Jacobkayne » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:14 pm

louie12 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:17 am Hi all

The boot space in my E85 has started taken on water, which seems to be forming on the underside of the boot lid and then falling into the the boot space. It's not an insignificant amount either, so not just condensation. Any ideas where to start? I've not had any work done on the boot that would cause the change, which has only been happening for the last few months (not winter related as it was happening on summer rainy days too. TIA.
Yeah mate it’s probably the air vents behind the trim. I had this on my e86. When the seals perish they let water in through the rubber seals.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Soggy boot!

Post by firebobby » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:32 pm

I found, if I parked the car nose up hill, I got water when it rained. Nose down, and no issues.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

darich

Soggy boot!

Post by darich » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:39 pm

Slightly older thread but seems to be exactly what I'm after....just found about 10mm of water in my battery tray. Rear window covered in thick condensation.
Seen a couple of posts relating to the air vents but they had broken links so the images weren't available.
I'm pretty sure it's not my 3rd brake light...the carpets feel damp at the rear lights.
It's dry behind the rear seats but wet at the lower part.
Weird thing is, both sides are wet....could both vents fail so close together?
Can anyone point me to the vents and how to get to them?
TIA
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe