Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bodywork?..well sort off..plastic welding …

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:55 pm

I broke the two outboard lugs off the dashboard when I removed it..on one side my defence was that some Germanic hand maidens had attached a set of GPS leads to part of it..

I decided to buy a second hand one..on arrival it too had the lugs broken..and unlike mine no sign of the broken bits..plus two other major bits damaged ..not bad for £400…

So decided to try and repair mine.

I super glued the lugs back on and then attacked it with a ‘welder’…

Basically it’s a glorified soldering iron head..two off…that uses the current through the metal pin to heat it to red hot..it then melts into the plastic and you let it cool whilst in situ..then you remove the ‘gun’..the pins are push fit into the end so the gun simply detaches itself from the now embedded pin.

There are several versions of the pin.

There is a spatula device to warm bars of material anc melt them as well.

It’s not pretty and needs a degree of finishing but compared to a glued joint much much stronger.

It’s the same effect as re-bar in concrete..

We’ll see how it goes on re-installation..

I was so impressed with it I used some scrap plastic to restructure / add some support to the area in the dash where I had dremeled (with the benefit of hindsight) too much material away..

For areas that are not visible it seems a possible salvation for all those broken clips etc..

There are some videos showing super glue ..the liquid version with binders like cotton wool, bicarbonate of soda, even cigarette ash to support broken parts..but in this case there isn’t the space to use that technique…..
Attachments
IMG_2475.jpeg
IMG_2475.jpeg (169.86 KiB) Viewed 395 times
IMG_2476.jpeg
IMG_2476.jpeg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 395 times
IMG_8700.jpeg
IMG_8700.jpeg (236.95 KiB) Viewed 395 times
IMG_8701.jpeg
IMG_8701.jpeg (219.53 KiB) Viewed 395 times
IMG_8702.jpeg
IMG_8702.jpeg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 395 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:32 pm

I have found a craft Hot Glue gun to be very useful on Z4 plastics, including the under bumper fairings.
I have also used wire staples melted into place using a soldering iron before welding with the hot glue gun which can produce a very strong bead especially if a hair dryer is used to preheat the joint.
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:39 pm

Does that come with Chicken Noodle soup. 8) :thumbsup:
Kung Fu Panda.jpg
Kung Fu Panda.jpg (177.71 KiB) Viewed 269 times

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:38 pm

I saw a YouTube video with a guy doing this and melting plastic ties to make a strong fix
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.