Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tail-light trim panel

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:31 pm

Hello just wondering what purpose the tail light trim serves? If it’s functional or just aesthetic as it’s not sealed tight.
Attachments
IMG_1690.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 287 times

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Tail-light trim panel

Post by kis » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:24 am

As “functional” as any other piece of car trim really. If you don’t have it installed it’s quite a big gap around the light so not very aesthetic. It will also help practically by channelling water away from the rear light, without this trim piece you could experience more water ingress from the light seal area.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:37 am

Had my rear lights off last night trying to source a leak. That trim seems to be aesthetic as far as I could see. 3 screws loosens it but it seems to be clipped in place at the wing. I couldn't quite figure out easily how to remove it but I didn't need to so I just left it and refitted the lights
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:46 am

darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:37 am Had my rear lights off last night trying to source a leak. That trim seems to be aesthetic as far as I could see. 3 screws loosens it but it seems to be clipped in place at the wing. I couldn't quite figure out easily how to remove it but I didn't need to so I just left it and refitted the lights
Ah this what I thought :thumbsup:

To remove it completely you haven’t unscrew the light cluster and move it out slightly (no need to disconnect the wires) and then pull out the trim which clips in to the quarter panel. Takes a good few pulls but it comes out eventually.

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 am

Jacobkayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:46 am
darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:37 am Had my rear lights off last night trying to source a leak. That trim seems to be aesthetic as far as I could see. 3 screws loosens it but it seems to be clipped in place at the wing. I couldn't quite figure out easily how to remove it but I didn't need to so I just left it and refitted the lights

To remove it completely you haven’t unscrew the light cluster and move it out slightly (no need to disconnect the wires) and then pull out the trim which clips in to the quarter panel. Takes a good few pulls but it comes out eventually.
I had the rear light units completely off the car. Disconnected and cleaned them up to check the seals. Looked ok.
But while they were off I noticed the trim piece that surrounds the light. I didn't need it off to do what I was doing so I didn't spend too much time checking it out
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 am

darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 am
Jacobkayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:46 am

I had the rear light units completely off the car. Disconnected and cleaned them up to check the seals. Looked ok.
But while they were off I noticed the trim piece that surrounds the light. I didn't need it off to do what I was doing so I didn't spend too much time checking it out
Sorry mate, typo. I meant to remove it completely you “have to” not “haven’t”. Made myself seem a right nob :rofl:

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 am

Jacobkayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 am Sorry mate, typo. I meant to remove it completely you “have to” not “haven’t”. Made myself seem a right nob :rofl:
No worries :rofl:
I don't need to remove that trim....But I don't think I've found the source of my boot filling with water!
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:26 am

darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 am
Jacobkayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 am Sorry mate, typo. I meant to remove it completely you “have to” not “haven’t”. Made myself seem a right nob :rofl:
No worries :rofl:
I don't need to remove that trim....But I don't think I've found the source of my boot filling with water!
:thumbsup:
When my boot was filling with water it was the air vent seal that perished. £70 for both, I replaced it and it stopped.

But now I’ve got another leak in my right cubby hole which is actually coming through a metal opening right above it!

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:51 am

I've seen a few posts suggest the vent. I did see one of them when I had the tail lights out last night. Passenger side looks ok but it might be that I do need to replace them.
Did you need to strip much carpet out to get to them? Did you have a coupe? Not sure how different the boot internals are compared to a roadster
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:01 pm

darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:51 am I've seen a few posts suggest the vent. I did see one of them when I had the tail lights out last night. Passenger side looks ok but it might be that I do need to replace them.
Did you need to strip much carpet out to get to them? Did you have a coupe? Not sure how different the boot internals are compared to a roadster
Yes I have the coupe but it’s essentially the same, they’re covered by the carpet. It’s preferred to remove the carpet and then remove the vents from the inside (give the vents a push and the pull out at an angle)

Alternatively you can remove the rear bumper and access the vents that way. So you won’t have to remove the carpet.

If you decide to remove the carpet you can inspect the vents by pouring some water through the area where the water drains from the boot. If it is the vents you will see some water ingress.

If I had to do it all again I’d remove the bumper, to remove the carpet you’ve got to strip back most of the plastic trim on the surrounding boot to access the screws/clips.

Here’s a video that will help https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c27_0KS2w ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
IMG_1759.jpeg
IMG_1759.jpeg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_1760.jpeg
IMG_1760.jpeg (234.21 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_1758.jpeg (174.88 KiB) Viewed 175 times

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:25 pm

Great, cheers
I saw the vent on the passenger side when I had the lights off. I pulled back a bit of the carpet - it looked dry but I could only see it from one angle.
Pulling the bumper isn't something I'm worried about - probably prefer to do that than strip the carpets if I'm honest. I've had the front bumper off so taking the rear off shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I'd be aswell to buy a couple of vents so I have them to pull the bumper off. Found them online from a BMW outlet for about £12 each. Presumably they just clip into place?
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Jacobkayne

Tail-light trim panel

Post by Jacobkayne » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:40 pm

darich wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:25 pm Great, cheers
I saw the vent on the passenger side when I had the lights off. I pulled back a bit of the carpet - it looked dry but I could only see it from one angle.
Pulling the bumper isn't something I'm worried about - probably prefer to do that than strip the carpets if I'm honest. I've had the front bumper off so taking the rear off shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I'd be aswell to buy a couple of vents so I have them to pull the bumper off. Found them online from a BMW outlet for about £12 each. Presumably they just clip into place?
Yes :thumbsup: if you’re taking the bumper off, pull vents outward to remove and push hard to clip them in and secure them.

Normally you won’t see any cracks or anything out of the normal, until you run a stream of water over it. The weak rubber seal will deform with the slight pressure of the water and let in small amounts of water. With a night of rainfall you’d be surprised how much it can fill up.

When I changed mine my cubby hole was half full of water.

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:42 pm

Jacobkayne wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:40 pm
Yes :thumbsup: if you’re taking the bumper off, pull vents outward to remove and push hard to clip them in and secure them.

Good luck!

I'll watch that video you linked and maybe do some more digging but hopefully it's not any more complicated than the front bumper removal, which is pretty straightforward.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

darich

Tail-light trim panel

Post by darich » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 pm

Not sure if this is good or bad.....
The other night when I was checking a few possible sources I dried out the battery tray and carpet.
No condensation in the car now which is great.
Car not moved for a few days and definitely not since drying out the boot.
Checking again tonight...carpet soaking but battery tray dry.
But if the car hasn't moved and I'm still getting water ingress then the vents, if leaking, are not the only leak.
I'll need to strip the boot to check the 3rd brake light. I replaced it a few weeks ago but I'll need to strip the boot lid and check it.
Instagram - Zed4Coupe