Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation in headlights

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:46 pm

So the car that keeps giving has dropped the next present and it appears that I am very low on headlight fluid. I have the xenon lights

Obvious culprit will be the seal on the rear of the units but any experience for getting them dry inside?

Am I looking at either new lights or having to crack them open I which car any advice ?

Mot warned the condensation was disrupting the pattern but not “bad enough” so I need to sort it, tbh it looks sh***y so even just from the cosmetic front.
Proud Whip owner ;)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:18 am

Sure it’s been covered before but yes rear seal will be your main culprit.

Take the light off the car, dry inside near a heat source. I’m against using hairdryers or heat guns to dry. These can damage wiring if using from the rear, or damage the lens if using from the front.

Thoroughly inspect the unit for any cracks/damage. You want to be sure it’s not getting in from elsewhere.

New cover/seal, I’d opt for a tiny smear of red rubber grease. Some swear by vasiline. But red rubber is safe so won’t degrade the seal. Not sure about vasiline.

N.B. Don’t go drilling holes in the headlight, as this not a proper fix. The units already have 3 vent holes by design at the rear which will let some moisture escape and account for ambient temp changes.

I have xenon myself, I wouldn’t go down the 2nd hand route till you’ve exhausted all other options. The units are normally £300+ each. I say that, but I do have a spare set, strategic spares and all that.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

DMike

Post by DMike » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:06 pm

No experience with Z4 headlights, but on some other brands…. Instead of using a hair dryer or a heat gun, I’ve used an old vacuum cleaner to suck out humid air from a light housing. On one where I couldn’t get good air circulation in the front chamber, I used a thinner silicone tube to reach. Works best on a dry day in direct sunlight.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Jcm325

Post by Jcm325 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 pm

I did this the other day and it seems to be holding up well...
Take the cover off the back
Look inside light make sure no pools of water just condensation
Hairdryer set on cool and plenty of patience, I also alternately warmed the front of the light with the hair dryer
It takes a while I had a couple of breaks in between
Reverse the rubber seal on the cover and a light smear of vaseline
I left the light open for a couple of hours for temperature stabilisation then refit the cover
Then sanded and polished the light afterwards.
I did it on a very cold but dry day
Attachments
20240110_150009.jpg
20240110_150009.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 158 times

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:16 pm

Mine are standard headlights but i had a large pool of water inside them both. I used a wire coat hanger with some tissue wrapped around the end to soak up all of it and then just finished off with the hairdryer method to dry everything out , letting the air cool down inside before putting the cover back on (with the seal reversed) not had any misting up issues ever since.
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:53 am

Cheers, guys
My drivers side is pretty bad so it really wouldn’t surprise me if there’s damage to casing somewhere.
Proud Whip owner ;)

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:10 am

domsz4 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:53 am Cheers, guys
My drivers side is pretty bad so it really wouldn’t surprise me if there’s damage to casing somewhere.
It’s amazing how much moisture can get in from bad seals. Certainly worth trying to cure rather than replace.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!