Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof repair!!!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:35 pm

Why the hell is it so difficult to get a roofer to repair a roof these days pray tell? Nobody wants to know :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 pm

Recession mate.
No-one can afford to be out on the tiles. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

BeeEmm

Roof repair!!!

Post by BeeEmm » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:36 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 pm Recession mate.
No-one can afford to be out on the tiles. :roll:
:rofl:
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm

I'm ignoring it :thumbsdown: :x :poke:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by TitanTim » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:31 pm

The job is either too big or too small to make it worthwhile.

I think these days small companies prefer lots of smaller type jobs, just makes life easier and probably a better money earner.

A few years back our mains water pipe burst under the house. The pipe runs through the centre of the house and comes up in the airing cupboard in a corner behind the central heating tank and burst just under the floor. I couldn't turn the water off in the street as don't have a mains key. Called Severn Trent at 5pm and they finally came out 9am following morning, said they were busy :cry: Thank god the way the pipe had burst the jet of water was shooting downwards into a cavity under the house and not upwards into the house itself.

I had a plumbing contract with British Gas at the time and they sent out Dynorod whom they contract plumbing work out too and they wouldn't touch the job as they said as it involves removing the hot water tank, heating pump etc it was a job for a gas fitter, i.e. British Gas :? British Gas didn't agree as it was a burst pipe, so it went round in circles, disgrace really.

Told them to forget it and went through 3 plumbers the next day to quote on removing the tank (replacing it), central heating pump, pipework, take the concrete floor up, locate burst pipe and renew section of pipe, relay the floor, and install new tank, pipework etc. Non of plumbers wanted to know or said they would get back and never did.

Was kinda desperate as had no mains water, no heating etc. Finally found a plumber who came round on Sunday Morning at 10am, looked at the job and just said leave it with me. Came back after an hour (didn't think he would) with a new central heating tank, pipework etc and started work. He'd done the job bar recomissioning the heating by 1am Monday morning. The chap was a complete star and I don't now what I'd have done if I hadn't found him. He came back Monday afternoon with a Gas Safe registered mate to do the heating.

When he located the burst pipe and cut the section out it was found the original housebuilder in 1971 hadn't used the correct pipe bender so the pipe was kinked where it came up through the floor amd had held out for 40 years before popping.

I think the reason why the 3 plumbers didn't want the job was it was too much hastle and too involved, they just wanted an easy job.

Tim.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 pm

We have a tile loose leaving a gap in the roof and some other that need looking at, the guy that came last time a few years ago is ignoring my phone calls and email :thumbsdown: I’m now going through the phone book. :cry:

BeeEmm

Roof repair!!!

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:57 pm

MikeyH wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 pm I’m now going through the phone book.
phone book?
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:00 am

BeeEmm wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:57 pm
MikeyH wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 pm I’m now going through the phone book.
phone book?
Okay, online phone book :rofl: :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:41 am

Always worth signing up to your local online community groups, something like Nextdoor. You'll always get people on there asking for a recommended roofer, builders etc. Found it useful when I was after someone local to remove a wasps nest from the garage.

Tim

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:38 am

I think my wife is, Ill ask her. Thanks for your help TitanTim. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by TitanTim » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:52 am

MikeyH wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:38 am I think my wife is, Ill ask her. Thanks for your help TitanTim. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Tim.

DevonPaul

Roof repair!!!

Post by DevonPaul » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Ours have been here 2 days in the last week, 2.5 days the one before that.

We'd like them to get on with it..
Attachments
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG (216.64 KiB) Viewed 200 times
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Roof repair!!!

Post by MikeyH » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:02 pm

Builders seem to have all the time in the world :evil: When we had our extension built 15 years ago I was working from home and they would come in and seemed to do nothing all day. On one occasion my wife came home from work and in a really pissed off voice ask them what had they done all day. Priceless. :thumbsup: