Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello & a couple of basic questions!

First port of call for new members
Sniffthebreeze

Post by Sniffthebreeze » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:30 pm

Hi!

Long time lurker, now member!

Can't decide if i want an 85 or an 89. Steering towards 85, as i am sure it will fit in the garage.
Three basic questions:

If the recommendation is to not fit run flats, then is there room for a space saver/ punctured wheel in the boot, should it be necessary?
Around Northamptonshire any good independent garages anyone can recommend?
Lastly, what's peoples opinion of 2litre variants. I don't particularly need performance, i have other ways to scare myself, but are they just to lacking? Manual only!

Thanks, in advance.

Sniff.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:07 pm

Hello and welcome.
1. A space saver will eaasily fit in the boot and indeed a full sized wheel should too, though you may have to move the parcel shelf up and not have the roof down. Or get a repair kit that comes with the inflator and a bottle of gunk.
2. If you're looking for maintenance work then I don't know any, but a few of us are dotted around who are happy to help and keep your costs down.
3. The 2.0 is actually quite fun, in a lower-powered kind of way. Far better balanced and nimble than the straight six. However, the sound is somewhat lacking and the engines are not known for going as far. 120k without a few issues is good, whereas either the M54 or N52 sixes will go well past 200k with sensible maintenance.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sniffthebreeze

Post by Sniffthebreeze » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:14 pm

Interesting, and thanks for the advise.

I have seen a couple of low mileage 2.0's, so that may be a possibility, if not a six with 80-90k is nothing to be frightened by!

Have need to try gunk recently, and not been impressed, hence the spare question!

Sniff

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 pm

Sniffthebreeze wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:14 pm I have seen a couple of low mileage 2.0's, so that may be a possibility, if not a six with 80-90k is nothing to be frightened by!
A six with 140k is nothing to be frightened by if you can see a decent service history!!

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:09 pm

I would not buy a 2.0. I know people will say their one has been reliable but there are so many 2.0s on the other Z4 forums that have just had lots of problems with the timing chain

Sniffthebreeze

Post by Sniffthebreeze » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:39 pm

Thanks Ray,
I'll bare that in mind. Can that be dealt with by changing the timing chain at regular/correct intervals. I recall having a 4 pot three series that dropped the chain, but it was because the lease company would not let it get done at the right time. i think i was about 10,000 miles passed due date!
Sniff

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:58 pm

Sniffthebreeze wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:39 pm Thanks Ray,
I'll bare that in mind. Can that be dealt with by changing the timing chain at regular/correct intervals. I recall having a 4 pot three series that dropped the chain, but it was because the lease company would not let it get done at the right time. i think i was about 10,000 miles passed due date!
Sniff
The cost of doing it could go towards a 6 cylinder. :poke: :D

weegeoff

Post by weegeoff » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:09 pm I would not buy a 2.0. I know people will say their one has been reliable but there are so many 2.0s on the other Z4 forums that have just had lots of problems with the timing chain

I never had a problem with a timing chain and had a 2.0, for 15 years and who are these people who have had lots of problems. On this forum I have never seen any, I could have missed them of course. I have read on here that people who have driven a 4 pot and a 6 pot saying the 6 is a better drive. As for the space saver tyre if there are two of you in the car with luggage. When you change wheels where do you put the punctured one. There was a accident a few years back where a couple in a Z3 had a budge in a tyre and put the space saver on. They drove off with it in front of her and it blew up and it killed her.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:07 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

A full size wheel should fit in the boot, but as I've only had Coupes I don't know if it would affect dropping the roof in an E85. As an alternative to Tyre Weld types products some people carry tyre repair kits, aka Rats Tails, but I've not tried them as I carry a full-size spare wheel.

For me the straight 6 engine is one of the Z4s unique features. After getting my first 3.0Si I was so impressed that after 6 months I got a 325ti as my daily and still run a 330i. I've had a few that had done over 100K miles and you'd never know as they drive so well.

Sorry I can't help with Indy recommendations as I'm in Surrey, but hopefully someone will know.

If you go for an E85 make sure the roof works properly. Ideally try to find one that has had the roof motor relocated into the boot as they suffer from water ingress where BMW put them, although there are a few people on here who can relocate them for sensible money including "enuff_zed"!

Happy hunting.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:32 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:07 pm Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

A full size wheel should fit in the boot, but as I've only had Coupes I don't know if it would affect dropping the roof in an E85. As an alternative to Tyre Weld types products some people carry tyre repair kits, aka Rats Tails, but I've not tried them as I carry a full-size spare wheel.

For me the straight 6 engine is one of the Z4s unique features. After getting my first 3.0Si I was so impressed that after 6 months I got a 325ti as my daily and still run a 330i. I've had a few that had done over 100K miles and you'd never know as they drive so well.

Sorry I can't help with Indy recommendations as I'm in Surrey, but hopefully someone will know.

If you go for an E85 make sure the roof works properly. Ideally try to find one that has had the roof motor relocated into the boot as they suffer from water ingress where BMW put them, although there are a few people on here who can relocate them for sensible money including "enuff_zed"!

Happy hunting.
Thank you sir

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:30 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:09 pm I would not buy a 2.0. I know people will say their one has been reliable but there are so many 2.0s on the other Z4 forums that have just had lots of problems with the timing chain
How many are we talking about of the millions of N20 engines produced by BMW? Percentages?
They put them in almost every model they produced from 2008 to 2015, worldwide.
Don't think it is fair to 'advise' someone not to buy a car with a certain engine because of 'some' reports of cam chain failures.

So, by the forum 'wisdom' the ONLY E89s to buy are the 30i or the 23i, as they have the N52 which is NEVER EVER going to have any issues? Both of those variants were dropped in 2012, so making even the newest ones quite long in the tooth now with generally some good mileage on them.

The N54 is crap, and so is the N20 so ONLY buy an N52 engined car! BOLLOX!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:34 pm

Sniffthebreeze wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:30 pm Can't decide if i want an 85 or an 89. Steering towards 85, as i am sure it will fit in the garage.
An E89 ain't very big TBH, just looks it.
I suppose it depends if you want an ugly duckling, or a swan. In my opinion! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:40 pm

To clarify: in response to the OPs three basic questions, he was initially advised that for longevity, balanced against cost of maintenance and likelihood of potential issues he may be better to consider a proven longer lived engine option.
I feel this was an educated response based on experience gleaned by owners as asked for by the OP.
However, should the OP prefer to decide based on a basic six letter capital letter assessment then I’m sure he will appreciate the input. :thumbsup: