Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sports Mode ON at startup Mod (2024 update)

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:00 am

Scott Naylor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:32 am Hi there,sorry,for some reason I don't have get notications of messages (any more). Please use my mobile number to communicate, far easier!

The last message I recall was your asking me for my address to send out the module and you'd have to successfully made up, and the cost is £40 as agreed!

So please advise of bank account detaills so I can pay you and you can kindly send me the lifesaver module, and save me from always having to press 'that button' every time I crank the glorious engine!

My mobile if I didn't know give it to you now before is xxxxx xxxxxx.

Thanks again, and await your response WhatsApp message if that's OK alright. I also use Signal if you want to prefer, they're both encrypted the same!

Cheers.

Scott
I shall whatsapp you shortly. For data privacy etc, you should remove your number from a public facing forum :thumbsup:
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:40 am

Quick Update: I remember now why I didn't like making these plug & play! :rofl:

104 wires cut to length,
208 wire ends stripped,
80 terminals crimped,
8 Sets of M/F plugs put together (8 x pairs, so 16 plugs total),
96 components hand soldered,
104 wires hand soldered,
6 sticks of hot glue (to cover some of the sharp pins that were too short to flush cut),
8 heat shrink cuts / wraps

About 30 hours build time total, then 4 hours burning bootloaders, flashing code and then testing (45 mins ish per module)

Some what "glad" these are the last ones I'll ever make ha

Thanks again to all those who bought in the past and to those who recently purchased thanks to this threads brief revival 4 years later 8)

Some random pics as I was putting these together
IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg (263.89 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_4428.jpeg
IMG_4428.jpeg (306.98 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_4430.jpeg
IMG_4430.jpeg (264.88 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_4431.jpeg
IMG_4431.jpeg (249.55 KiB) Viewed 269 times
IMG_4432.jpeg
IMG_4432.jpeg (246.07 KiB) Viewed 269 times
The current batch of 4 sold will be posted FRIDAY and tracking sent to all purchasers :thumbsup:

4 left if anyone else would like one
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 am

Great production line you've got going there, really pleased I've ordered one :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

Scott Naylor

Post by Scott Naylor » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:04 am

IAmOrion wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am 2024 Update

NOW ALL SOLD! MANY THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO REVIVED THIS THREAD AND NEW INTEREST. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THOSE WHO SUPPORTED AND PURCHASED BEFORE!

The brief revival of this post has sparked some new PMs - so to update anyone else reading this thread:

I currently have 8 sets of plugs left meaning I can make 8 of these to sell if anyone is interested.

A few have enquired requesting one (some gone awol ha) - but until payment is received & confirmed then they're still available.

Below members have paid, so there are currently 0 still up for grabs. I will update this post accordingly as payments are received :thumbsup:

1 - e85van :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
2 - BumpyZ4 :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
3 - Mojito :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
4 - Scott Naylor :thumbsup: - POSTED, Tracking sent via PM
5 - Sold on FB
6 - Sold on FB
7 - Sold on FB
8 - Sold on FB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Another random project I've now completed...

Fed up of turning on Sport Mode every time?? Then this mod is for you 8)

The “marmite/pointless” mod is now finished - PCBs fabricated and delivered (I’ve already made one to photo and test)

The bare PCB is barely bigger than a £0.50 pence piece. Completely plug and play, 5mins (if that) to install 😁

Functions:

a) On at startup -> as it implies, this turns the sports button on with the ignition/engine. Button still operates as normal

b) Forced On -> automatically turns on sports mode with ignition/engine. Button is technically useless - if you turn sports mode off it will instantly turn back on

c) Remember state -> This mode remembers the last state of the button. If sports mode was on when you switch off the car, it will automatically turn it back on next time you turn on ignition/start the car. If sports mode was off when turning off the car, it will remain off next time you start the car.

The options above are user selectable via a slide switch. You can change it to best suit your needs or preference.
See my demo video below for more info

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Installation Video:

Demo Video:

Personally I think (a) or (b) will be the most commonly used options. I don’t see much point in (c) myself however a few people asked if it could be possible

Will make an installation and demo video at the weekend 👍

Price: £55 delivered in the UK
£50 collected from Cambridge.
International postage would need to be calculated per request.

Note:

This is a "marmite" mod - to some, it's awesome (20+ people asked me to look into this), but for the majority it's lazy and pointless (apparently). However, there clearly is some demand for it. Especially useful for Track Z4s

Please lets not get caught up in "what's the point" discussions, I'm already well aware 85% think it's pointless, but the 15% that asked me about it and want is - here it is :)

Early demo video: (Proto-type)

Finished PCB design, easy and quick install - plug and play

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg
Hiya,I am being a it mad, can't seem to see the install. video, can you send me a link /repost? Many thanks
BMW Z4 2007 facelift 2.5Si

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Scott Naylor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:04 am Hiya,I am being a it mad, can't seem to see the install. video, can you send me a link /repost? Many thanks
Hi Scott - the video is in the post you quoted :)

Installation Video:

If for any reason it's not showing up for you, this the the direct youtube link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5nwlfkZgM
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

BumpyZ4

Post by BumpyZ4 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:43 pm

I installed my sport button mod and it works great! Thanks!
2003 E85 3.0i Sterling Gray
KLR 650
Diva Roadster (Kit Car)

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:54 pm

BumpyZ4 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:43 pm I installed my sport button mod and it works great! Thanks!
Nice one :driving:
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22