Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85/E86 Steering Problems (Solved)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
boca22

Post by boca22 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:00 pm

Just want to say, did this today and it worked an absolute treat. There’s still a bit of twitch there which i think is unrelated and could partially be put down to the characteristics of the car but the post about adjusting the rack seems like a good place to start. Thanks OP for the great write up, this has made the car so enjoyable again!

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:48 pm

Had a strange one with mine today.

Last year wasn't hot enough that it got sticky often.. but it still needed addressing.

Adjusted today 10mm upwards as opposed to downwards (tried that last year and it felt really loose and vague).

So, the weirdness, is that I thought leaving the bolts slightly loose would mean less aggro for adjustments, but kept the test drives somewhat short. I found that I had absolutely no sticking at all, but the micro adjustments were terrible. Tightened the bolts, steering stiffened and felt slightly stuck but no micro adjustments whatsoever.

Is this literally a case of adjusting it mm by mm to find that sweet spot?

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 am

FunkyGBrown wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:48 pm Had a strange one with mine today.

Last year wasn't hot enough that it got sticky often.. but it still needed addressing.

Adjusted today 10mm upwards as opposed to downwards (tried that last year and it felt really loose and vague).

So, the weirdness, is that I thought leaving the bolts slightly loose would mean less aggro for adjustments, but kept the test drives somewhat short. I found that I had absolutely no sticking at all, but the micro adjustments were terrible. Tightened the bolts, steering stiffened and felt slightly stuck but no micro adjustments whatsoever.

Is this literally a case of adjusting it mm by mm to find that sweet spot?
Yes mate adjust it little by little, to find the sweet spot for you.