Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello all.... pondering an E89

First port of call for new members
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:14 pm

Wardy5 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm Having now tried examples of both the 20i and 23i, I don't think I'm any further forward :lol:

As I like different characteristics of both the 23i (noise, responsiveness, smoothness). I thought the 20i drove well with a good turbo response and a good torquey delivery, with better economy and the lower tax band. I also tend to modify my cars, so the potential to add some performance to the 20i easily didn't pass me by!

On the N20 engines, would you say it's a good idea to have the chain tensioners replaced as a matter of course? Good preventative maintenance?

Cheers,
Steve
The N20 (18, 20 or 28) with a cheap and simple remap really does transform the car into a quick and powerful thing.
The 23i and 30i may be good but there is nowhere to go really with the n/a N52 engines so you get what you get.

Just be aware that the E89 is not an equivalent of an MX5. Much more of a cruiser than a 'sportscar'.

As for the infamous cam chain debate....nearly as many opinions as which tyres are best! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Wardy5

Post by Wardy5 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:54 pm

Thanks for the input - plenty to continue to ponder!

Oh yes, as mentioned above, I'm not expecting it to directly replace the '5 from a driving perspective.

The tyre comment gives me some great context, thank-you - enough said :wink:

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:32 am

As others have said, a remapped 20i (or any 4 pot) will bring a huge smile to your face. You won't be wishing for more power or torque as you'll have plenty.