Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
James Whiteside

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by James Whiteside » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:01 pm

I wish to fit a SatNav system to my Z4 and there appear to be so many kit options available that I need help.
I want to fit the screen into the spot available above the dash. I am satisfied with the radio/CD/sound system so probably don’t need an upgrade of that.
I am in Perth, Scotland and have an auto-electrician who can fit it for me, and would appreciate any suggestions as to what kit I should choose.
A useful addition would be a back up camera linked to the SatNav screen.

MarshMA10

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by MarshMA10 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Hey James, welcome to the forum, a fellow Scot :)

I cannot strongly enough recommend you do the full MMI box thing. Having Apple Car Play honestly makes the e89 feel 10 years younger. There is no Sat Nav as good as Google Maps controlled by phone / voice / etc.

There are some really good guides and videos on this forum, look out for stuff by AnubisZed.
2010 E89 35i — turbo boat hooligan - viewtopic.php?t=131886
2008 Ducati 1098S — two wheeled nightmare

James Whiteside

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by James Whiteside » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:19 pm

Many thanks for your reply - very helpful. I apologise for my ignorance - what is the full MMI box thing? Would you know of a reputable kit supplier? James

AnubisZed

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:49 pm

For reference....

If you have OE iDrive, then you can fit an MMI box. The MMI box connects to your phone to give you either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, depending on what phone you have.
If you don't have OE iDrive then there is the option of an Android touchscreen. This installs in the space that is currently occupied by the dash top cubby, ie: as in the attached photo (shown with optional reversing camera). This will give you access to built-in apps for music, video, navigation and others as well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Depending on supplier just make sure that if you don't have OE iDrive then you'll need the copy iDrive controller (you can install one of these screens in place of the flip-up iDrive screen to add onto your existing iDrive features if you do have it, where you wouldn't then require the copy controller). Also check on the available operating system version and RAM available.
Attachments
android reverse.jpg
android reverse.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

PointedMarlin

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by PointedMarlin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:28 pm

Hi James I can see Anubiszed/Dave has replied

In case it isn’t clear if you click on his YouTube channel link or run a search on YouTube for z4 mods you will find the information you are after & Dave is great at answering questions here for clarification/recommendations. Have a root round his videos as I’m pretty sure he covers exactly what you are trying to do

Good luck & happy Zedding/Modding

He often links on each video where he has got the parts from or what the part is so you can track it down on the web

Deepseaskateboard

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:53 pm

https://hifimaxnavi.com/en-gb/products/ ... 0697919582

You could have a look at this supplier.

I am in two minds whether or not to do this.

I am not sure if they have the look right, just looks like there is a chunk missing from the dash.

Would be great to do an OEM retrofit but all in, I think it’s around £2k.

What would be awesome is if you could hook up a box to an oem screen for carplay and get the aftermarket controller.
Or, buy the hifimax unit take it to bits and fit itwithin an oem screen unit... sounds like a pricey mistake tho! Haha.

Marcoose

SatNav for Z4 E89 2013

Post by Marcoose » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:57 pm

I've lived in Scotland briefly. I can see why they need help with navigation.
:poke: :poke:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps