Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0si starting problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:09 pm

Hi. I have an issue with my 2007 3.0si I was hoping someone might be able to share some guidance on.

Issue: car will not start. It won't even turnover. Can hear some noises from the passenger side under the bonnet. All lights come on on dash and I've been told the battery charge is fine.

Symptoms/background: For a few weeks, the car was lazy/slow to start but always started. I thought it was perhaps an issue with the battery but this was fully charged and had no issues. A couple of times it was slow to start the airbag warning light came on and stayed on for the duration of my journey. Now it won't start.

I've tried starting the car using jump leads from another car but it won't turn over at all.

A (a slightly more mechanically minded) friend was able to get the following codes from the car for me:

93FC: ACSM battery lead, positive (monitoring of shielding)
93FD: ACSM battery lead, ground (monitoring of shielding)

2AAB: DME: variable intake system, self diagnosis. Fault does not activate warning light.

1F: LSZ2: coils, stepping motors, faulty

If anyone was able to shed any light on the codes and if there's anything simple I could replace or do to try and get the car going that would be very much appreciated. If possible, I'm wanting to avoid having to get it recovered and taken to a garage as that would be an even more expensive exercise. I'd at least like to get it to a garage without it being recovered.

If it's something like the starter motor I'll not be able to replace that myself but if there was something simple I could do that might be possible - I'm mechanically inept!

Thank you.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si starting problem

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 pm

I would start with the starter motor tbh.
It's not too hard to do, but does involve unbolting and raising the inlet manifold for access.
Having never done one before I did my first a few weeks back for pvr. Less than hour to sort it.

Where are you? Maybe someone can help out?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:29 pm

Thanks for the swift reply. I’m in Scotland so that maybe narrows the field for assistance!

Just done a quick look on YouTube for the starter motor replacement and I suspect that might be beyond my limited ability/lack of tools. But at least the labour cost at a garage isn’t likely to be too bad. I see that starter motors can be bought for £80 or so.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si starting problem

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:09 pm

Arthur77 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:29 pm Thanks for the swift reply. I’m in Scotland so that maybe narrows the field for assistance!

Just done a quick look on YouTube for the starter motor replacement and I suspect that might be beyond my limited ability/lack of tools. But at least the labour cost at a garage isn’t likely to be too bad. I see that starter motors can be bought for £80 or so.
Bit far for me
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Luke2184

3.0si starting problem

Post by Luke2184 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:56 am

Did mine recently on the drive. You don’t need to move the intake just loosen up the air box there’s room to get in and pull out, it’s just two bolts took one hour. I used a Bosch motor and new bolts £150 all in I think.

Luke2184

3.0si starting problem

Post by Luke2184 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am

Jas- USA

3.0si starting problem

Post by Jas- USA » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:16 am

Given these codes:

93FC: ACSM battery lead, positive (monitoring of shielding)
93FD: ACSM battery lead, ground (monitoring of shielding)

When you go to start the car, #1 start position of key turn, do you hear the fuel pump starting????? If no, does your friend know how to determine if the starter is receiving electricity when the key is turned?

The ACSM is a crash safety system which cuts power to the engine, starter and fuel pump to prevent fire. The wording of "monitoring of shielding" sure sounds like the ASCM was activated and believes your car was in an accident. Do you have an airbag light on?

However, if the fuel pump is running & there is power at the starter then it's more than likely a bad starter and I have no idea why you would have gotten those two ACSM codes.

I'm editing this to add that you might want to unhook a cable on your battery for an hour, which should clear the error codes. Afterwards, put the battery cable back on and try starting the car.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

3.0si starting problem

Post by paddy wright » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:10 am

Try bump starting- if it goes then it’s defo the starter motor
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

Folks, thanks very much for the replies.

I haven't had a chance to make progress with this yet, although have arranged for a mechanic to fit a new starter later in the week. However...

1) prior to not starting at all, the car was slow/lazy to start for a few weeks. The last couple of times it did start the airbag light came on and stayed on for the rest of the journey. It then went off the next time the car restarted. A friend did suggest something about a cable attached to the battery in the boot that had once caused a similar issue with an old E46 he had. Once that was replaced the car started fine.

When I go to start the car I can hear something over on the passenger side of the engine bay. I guess that could be the fuel pump? I don't know how to check if there's power at the starter.

I will try disconnecting the battery tomorrow.

2) I would have tried bump starting but the car is in a tricky position for that at the moment unfortunately.

Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:27 pm

Wee update on this. I tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a couple of hours. Still no joy with starting once the battery’s as reconnected, could hear the fuel pump etc. Hoping this means it’s the starter causing the issue rather than something else.

Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:36 pm

Wee update on this. I tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a couple of hours. Still no joy with starting once the battery’s as reconnected, could hear the fuel pump etc. Hoping this means it’s the starter causing the issue rather than something else.

Jas- USA

3.0si starting problem

Post by Jas- USA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 pm

If you can hear the fuel pump starting it just might be the starter. That safety power system on the positive battery cable will cut the power to the fuel pump if it's activated. After your mechanic does your starter will you please post if this resolved your problem.

Arthur77

3.0si starting problem

Post by Arthur77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:00 pm

New starter motor fitted and that’s got it going again. Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated.